Suddenly dead chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robyn8, Mar 4, 2017.

1. robyn8

robyn8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    I found one of my pullets dead this morning. She was about 8 months old. She laid an egg that day. I really didn't see them much during the day because I was at work but everyone came out in the morning and seemed fine. At night when I shut up in the coop she was laying in the run. I picked her up and put her in the coop and she seemed unsteady on her feet. She laid down in the shavings and feel asleep. I thought she was just really tired and figured I wouldn't bother her. It was pretty cold last night but it has been the last few days and they've been through a lot worse. No signs of injury. Any thoughts on how she died? Should I be concerned for the rest of the flock? Everyone looks fine today.

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I have lost a few that exact same way. No signs of anything wrong at all then dead. Mine were also about 8 months old at the time.
    One was a bantam, a buff orpington and a brahma. Very sad indeed.

No signs with any other birds and no other losses.
    I think it has to do with a weak heart.
    I am sorry you lost her but think the rest of your flock will be fine.

Were your birds vaccinated for mereks? I read somewhere that it can show up in birds around 8 months old and even older.
    Mine died way faster then mereks would have taken and I think yours went to fast for it to be that.

3. robyn8

robyn8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Dexter, Michigan
    Yes they were vaccinated for mercks. She was a buff Orpington. Thanks for your response! I feel bad for not realizing something was off last night but I doubt I could have done anything anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by