Suddenly getting chicks in TWO days. Help!

mamapeters

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2022
Southern BC Canada
So we are very suddenly (as in this Thursday) getting 15-20 broiler chicks. Frist time having chicks of any kind. A few questions:

Is there a difference in raising layer vs broiler chicks?

Other than a brooder, waterer and feeder, heat source, is there anything else you need for chicks?

At what point can I put them in my coop with the rest of my flock?

Any other tips welcome too! Thanks!
😃

It would depend on the broiler breed. There are some awesome basic tutorials for Cornish cross on here. Type Cornish cross in the search pane. Seems like you have your basics squared. Just keep them clean and dry. Change water frequently when soiled. And it depend where you live as to when you can put them out. That's another thing you will get mixed info on. If it's too cold it could kill them. Also you want to introduce them to the flock, not just throw them in or there could be fighting..you need a way for them to see the other chickens without being harmed. I hope I've helped a little..I know it's cursory what I've told you. But others will chime in😁

A few more things.

Chicks also need bedding. Newspaper is too slippery. Sawdust is too much like food. Some people use chick starter as bedding for the first few days. Or puppy pads. I like puppy pads. Whatever you use needs to be cleaned or changed often.

It is best to have curved "corners" in the brooder so it is less likely one gets trapped and squished by the others if they pile up.

They need a place to warm up but they also need space that is cooler. Ideally, the food and water go in the cooler space.

They need to be checked often: for pasty butt, that temperatures are comfortable, that none are stuck anywhere, that food and water are available and clean, that nothing is bothering them too much.

A few more things.

Chicks also need bedding. Newspaper is too slippery. Sawdust is too much like food. Some people use chick starter as bedding for the first few days. Or puppy pads. I like puppy pads. Whatever you use needs to be cleaned or changed often.

It is best to have curved "corners" in the brooder so it is less likely one gets trapped and squished by the others if they pile up.

They need a place to warm up but they also need space that is cooler. Ideally, the food and water go in the cooler space.

They need to be checked often: for pasty butt, that temperatures are comfortable, that none are stuck anywhere, that food and water are available and clean, that nothing is bothering them too much.
Dang puppy pads. That is creative, easy bedding..never thought of that! Awesome idea. Creative!

Is there a difference in raising layer vs broiler chicks?
The broilers eat more and grow faster.

At what point can I put them in my coop with the rest of my flock?
I would not try to introduce broilers to the rest of your flock. It's not worth the time and effort-- just raise them in a separate pen.

A common way to raise and introduce chicks might go like this:

They need to be in a brooder with a source of heat until they grow all their feathers (4-6 weeks.)

At that point, if you put them in the coop with the other chickens, they will probably get picked on and chased away from the food.

So it's better to put them in a separate pen next to the main coop, so the big chickens and these babies can get used to each other without hurting each other.

After a week or two in pens next to each other, you can start letting them be together with supervision. By this time they are at least 5 weeks old, and maybe as old as 7-8 weeks.

But Cornish Cross broilers (the common white ones) are often butchered at 8 weeks old.

So by the time you would be introducing them to the flock in the coop, it's already time to butcher them! At that point, they may be bigger than your other chickens, but they will probably still act like babies (so they would get picked on and bullied.)

Back
Top Bottom