Suddenly lethargic, are they too cold or just adjusting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RollingForkMeadows, Sep 27, 2010.

1. RollingForkMeadows

RollingForkMeadows Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Minnesota
    My chickens and guinea fowl are only 9 weeks old.
    It has been unseasonably hot here for so long (80s/90s) and they were all doing great. Then suddenly the temperature dropped (today it is high 50s) and they're acting odd.
    They are standing around in a loose circle eyeing me, quiet little chirps, almost lethargic, or acting as if they're frightened to come out and play. Usually they run excitedly outside when I open the outdoor run.
    Is it too cold for them now, or are they experiencing their first sudden shift in weather?

2. Davlyn

Davlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    I wish I could answer you. I have had chickens for just 1 1/2 yrs. so I have much to learn.mayb the drop in temp affected them some what. I let mother nature & a hen care for the ones I hatched out & the chicks have been going out of the coop for the last 3 wks & it's chilly in NH. I am not using a light in the coop.

have they perked up since U posted ?

3. RollingForkMeadows

RollingForkMeadows Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Minnesota
    Naturally they all made fools out of me. Yes, they perked up all right. Pecking and scratching all over the planet about 10 minutes after I posted my concerns. They're growing fast, but they're still so young, so I worry about them. [​IMG]

4. Davlyn

Davlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    [​IMG] I hear ya.. my friend said if I got anymore obsessed , she was taking them back , lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by