Suddenly lethargic "dirty" looking hen - help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fin4, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Fin4

Fin4 New Egg

Sep 26, 2010
    My almost 1 year old Buff Orpington has been fine, full of energy. Yesterday I went to lock the coop and she was outside nested on the ground against the coop. I checked her for injuries, bugs, etc and she looked fine. The only thing I had noticed in the last few days was her feathers around her comb looked dirty. I figured it was a combination of dust bath and rain and let it go. Her comb itself is looking good, but she keeps laying down and closing her eyes. She layed an egg this morning, so she isn't backed up. Her poop was loose with a yellowish/green color. My instinct is that it she has an infection somewhere internally. The other 9 chickens and 2 turkeys are in good health and she has been put in her own little coop, away from the others. If anyone knows what this might be, I would love some advice. I was thinking I could start her on an antibiotic in her water. I'm looking for someone who has dealt with this kind of thing. Thanks, everyone here is always so helpful. [​IMG]

2. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your Buff Orp. They are such lovely birds and I LOVE mine.

I agree with you that it sounds like an infection. I would definitely get her on an anti-biotic soon. I had a chicken exhibiting some symptoms the same as yours- watery green yellow poo being one of them. I assumed it was an internal infection brought on by some stress that my flock was going through at the time (first cold season coming on, new coop, sexual maturation). I don't exactly know what it was she had, but my vet gave her an anti-biotic and I really think this was what helped her perk back up. I'm pretty sure I would have lost her if I had not those pills. You may want to get the advice of a vet as to which anti-biotic would be best for her.. not all are the same and some treat better than others for different ailments. A good vet would know which one to try first. By the way, it took two week long prescription of anti-biotic for my chicken to get better.. When the first week was up, she quickly went downhill for three days until I could get her some more. After the second round, she was ok. So don't give up! Sometimes with things like this you need to give it the ONE-TWO punch.

If she is tired, and from what you posted it sounds as though she is, she may just be dirty looking because she is too fatigued to bother to prim up after dust bathing. She also sounds as if she will need some meds soon if she is that tired. Don't delay, okay! I'm not sure if the anti-biotics you put in the water would be strong enough to battle the infection. Please go and get some pills from your vet. The initial cost of the visit was the most expensive part, but a week long supply of anti-biotic was about $10.

In the meantime, try to give her some electrolytes, keep her calm and away from any stress. I fed mine treats- hamburger (cooked), scrambled eggs, yogurt, rice, fruit... anything that might brighten their day, keep them comfy and at ease enough to be able to fight this off.

Best of luck with your hen! Let us know!

3. Fin4

Fin4 New Egg

Sep 26, 2010
    Thank you very much for your reply. I started her on the antibiotic today.
    I hope she pulls out of this. She's a great, friendly, chicken and lays the biggest eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by