Suddenly Loud Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sneaky Chicken, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Sneaky Chicken

Sneaky Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    The Garden State
    I have an 8 month old pullet (my top hen) who just recently started climbing to the top of the coop and clucking a deep-throated cluck with another chicken (always the same) right beside her but quiet. Its as if shes standing in front of the reset of the flock making a speech. She does this several times an hour. I wouldnt mind so much but I have neighbors that live in close proximity and Im not supposed to have chickens...

What could be causing her to do this and how do I make it stop?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There are several things that *could* be going on - and, in the end, some birds just become loudmouths.
    Is she currently laying and, if so, how long has she been in production?
    Any recent changes in your flock, the coop, the neighborhood, your routine?
    Any recent stresses to the flock?
    How do you react when she starts her routine - do you go out to see what is happening, toss treats in an attempt to distract/quiet her, give her attention?

3. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I would get rid of the loud one before you HAVE to get rid of them all.

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I would think that would be positive reinforcement, basically training her to crow for food.

IDK I am new here

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I have a couple hens that get very loud squawking on the days they are going to lay. But it's more squawking than clucking.

Bad choice to have chickens where you aren't allowed...

Good luck!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Karma.

Chickens can be very loud.....all of them, not just the males with their crowing.
    Their need to vocalize comes and goes, often without reasons that we are privy too.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It is - which is why I had asked as many people do exactly that not realizing they are training the bird to be louder, not quieter.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Exactly - which is why I always find the exclusion of rooster based on "noise issues" to be laughable when cities are negotiating the allowance of poultry ---- clearly policies written by folks who have never heard the incredible ruckus that a hen can raise! My roos have always been the quieter of the birds in my flocks -- yes, they crow, but for the most part they are quietly tid-bitting to their girls, giving them quieter vocal directions/warnings/etc -- while the ladies regularly get into contests to see who can be the loudest.

Oh to be in the mind of a chicken.......

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by