Suddenly Mean Hen - Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Monkey Mama, Feb 26, 2009.

1. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    My sister has 4 hens that I gave her back in November. These gals have been living happily together in a run for all these months with no problems. The coop and run are big [more than 5 square feet per bird], they have tons of feed and fresh fruits and veggies [sis takes extremely good care of them - spoils them even!].

Suddenly today one of the hens, the Black Australorp who is about 10 months old, started picking at the other hens. In one day she picked two of the other hens almost bald on their backs and she was chasing them around.

She's never shown any aggression before, what would cause her to start doing this now? Is there anything that can be done to stop her from being a bully?

Thanks for any advice!

Kelly

2. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    it may just be a phase of showing the other girls who is boss in their new home....if it bothers you i would seperate them but I wouldn't think she would go long enough to seriously hurt the others....keep an eye out though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by