Suddenly my Cochins love me!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cthrash1, Aug 21, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Two of my Bantam Cochins that I've had since they were 3 days old(now almost 3 mo old) has suddenly decided they love me and want to be on me and be held, and I usually have to hold both of them at the same time or the other will keep trying to fly up on me, whats up with that? Not that I'm complaining or anything. Could it be the treats or maybe jealous when I hold the 6 wk old chicks I'm introducing to the clan?

2. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    NAW...I think they just love you. I have a couple of IB's like that...They're smart, because they wanna get close to me, they get the EXTRA treats. Just be careful with them around your face, my girls just love my eyes...ouch![​IMG]

3. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    gotchooks? :

NAW...I think they just love you. I have a couple of IB's like that...They're smart, because they wanna get close to me, they get the EXTRA treats. Just be careful with them around your face, my girls just love my eyes...ouch![​IMG]

LOL...Made me think about my DSs friend...He stops at someones house and asks if he could have one of their chickens(freerangers not used to attn). He gets it home in one piece and then as he's holding this wild chicken tries to kiss her, well she about took his eye out. He didn't kiss her anymore after that. Moral of his story: Don't go kissing strange chickens they might not like it...
    [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My giant cochins did the same thing...very shy when little then when they got to be 12 weeks old they became my best friends. My male cochin comes running to me to be helped on and off the roost. He can't jump that high. [​IMG] He is SO cute!

5. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    [​IMG] That is one spoiled Cochin, how high is this roost? lol...I'm glad you guys clarified this odd behavior, the scary part is I have 2 others out of the same bunch that hasn't caught on yet but when they do, I only have two hands...I'll look like the bird lady. Now my one Giant Cochin pullet(5 mo) is a different story, very independent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by