Suddenly Questioning RIR gender, help?**with pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mandalina, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Does anybody know what age a RIR gets a red comb and waddles?? My supposed pullet is almost 8 weeks and in the last few days her comb color has changed and grown a bit. I know they do have red combs and all as adults, but at what age do they generally get one a-rockin?? Did the feed store lead me wrong by telling me they only carried RIR pullets?
    I am worried my Miss Red is a Mr.Red by the sudden comb developement.

I will be back with a pic.....I have to get the darn bird to sit still for more than 5 seconds to get one that isnt blurry.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Most feed stores get their chicks from the same large hatcheries that you can order from. Even with sexed chicks, the accuracy rate for sexing day old chicks is 90%, for everything except sex links. So yes, you could have a baby cockerel.
    Post a pic and let us see if we can help you out.

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

By 8 weeks it would be a pretty significant comb and wattles. If you're just now questioning it, she's probably a pullet.

4. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    ha,i got some. "she" isnt too happy with me now, but that is ok since this is all in the name of science.
    [​IMG]

notice my roo Big Bird standing behind "her", they have comparable combs nowadays
    [​IMG]

and "her" with a same age BR pullet
    [​IMG]

I may be the only one to notice, but she has uber thick legs too.

5. swtamour

swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I think it may be a roo. My RIR at about 9 weeks is only slightly pink and doesn't have a big comb like yours. I'm new at this so I'm just comparing your RIR to mine.

6. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Quote:Gosh i hope so lol! I managed to already have 4 of my 6 cochin bantams be Roo's, and I have 6 more chicks in the brooder which 4 are still of unknown gender and I think i will cry if Miss Red is a boy too.

7. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I'm no expert either! [​IMG] But I think it's a girl based on her tail. It is more like a pullet tail than a young cockerel tail, being that it is round and short. But, then again, I'm not an expert! I have 4 "pullets" that are only a month old and they have the same shape tail.

8. PQ4evr

PQ4evr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Bellville Ohio
    I would say a pullet [​IMG]

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I say rooster.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Only eight weeks old ya say? He is a very handsome boy. [​IMG]
    I'm fairly confident about that, but not 100% sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by