Suddenly sick hen....not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calamarie, Feb 16, 2016.

1. calamarie

calamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Found my hen just sitting lethargic and not moving, eye closed or half closed, picked her up and she just went limp in a way, and puked some stuff up when I tipped her forward. She is now away from the flock and will stand but just closes her eyes, I did dropper feed some water, and felt her crop but wasn't sure exactly what I am feeling for. Notice her comb is flopped over and kind of discolored, I noticed her comb had flopped over a month or so ago and it seemed like she may have gotten picked on a little so I chalked it up to that but it's worse now. She also felt super light and thin to me but her and the others of her breed have always seemed petite to me. I'll attach a pic. [​IMG]

2. Cheetah1

Cheetah1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2015
    Here I have a poultry disease book, let me see...

3. Cheetah1

Nov 29, 2015
    I have to ask, have you changed their diet. That could cause sickness I am still looking though.

4. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Has she been wormed?

1 person likes this.
  5. Cheetah1

Nov 29, 2015
    Um I read one that the external conditions are, loss of body weight and unthrifty condition. If that fits that description well I would hate to say, but it says to search for cause and treat. :( I am sorry if that is right. By the way this book is called, Poultry Diseases by E.J. Wortley. Tell me if the description I have is wrong, I can look more.

6. calamarie

Mar 15, 2015
    no she has not

7. calamarie

Mar 15, 2015
    no change in feed or anything, all the snow is melted here so they have been out of the run a lot. Hmmm well she looks poor based on her comb and is obviously sick but I don't know for sure if she's low in body weight cause I don't handle them much since I have so many, the other 3 I have of her breed always looked mangie or "rough" so she doesn't look abnormally poor if any of that makes sense or helps.

8. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    I'm still kinda new to chickens but she could be full of worms. I'm trying to get help now. @casportpony

9. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Ok, talking to someone else they said that it's more then likely worms. You need to get safeguard worker for goats. If you get liquid you should get a syringe (no needle) and squint a half of a cc in their mouth for a normal size chicken. A quarter cc for bantam.repeat in ten days and don't eat the eggs until after two weeks of the last dose. I'd worm all of your flock at the same time.

DuckGirl77 likes this.
  10. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by