Suddenly Sick Pullet - 15 Weeks

AlyCat89

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
Went out to say hello to the gals this afternoon and found one pullet collapsed in the corner panting. No obvious sign of distress in the last few days/yesterday evening, seemed OK this morning but maybe a little less pushy than normal? She is a 15 week old polish pullet who has always been vigorous though the others have managed to peck some of her crest off and around her eye so she is a little bloody but that is the only external wound.

Getting Corid and Nutridrench now, and have her isolated. Symptoms are:

-Weakness/general lack of moving/not holding head up and eyes mostly closed
-Quick, shallow breathing
-Seems lighter, crop is empty
-Almost seems like she is choking on her tongue? Keeps opening her mouth like choking, when I turned her upside down and rubbed her throat she did throw up some of the fluid I gave her

A 15 week old bird on the same property shouldn't have coccidiosis. Resistance would have been developed long ago.
What is your location? Climate?

A 15 week old bird on the same property shouldn't have coccidiosis. Resistance would have been developed long ago.
What is your location? Climate?

I'm in the PNW - close to Vancouver, B.C. Temps have been strange--really wet last week, pretty hot this week (for the area, in the 70's compared to last week averaging 50's F). We had a ridiculous outbreak of mosquitoes the last few days because of it, I had something like 50 in the house the other evening because of a cracked window.

I also have ducks that were raised with the pullets that have been making the watering area a bit of a mess--even more so than usual, since I switched them to a larger watering system. Perhaps the damp & weird temperature fluctuations caused a respiratory infection?

Washington. Everyone else seems fine, and her poos this afternoon weren't bloody--just very watery.

With those symptoms, it could be so many different things.
Should something happen to her, you have 2 poultry diagnostic labs.

Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
Bustad Hall, Rm 155-N
Pullman, Washington 99164-7034
Phone: 509-335-9696

Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
Avian Health and Food Safety Laboratory Puyallup
2607 W Pioneer
Puyallup, WA 98371-4919
Phone 253-445-4537

Back
Top Bottom