Suddenly strange-acting, cold, limp hen - please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Viergacht, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Viergacht

Viergacht In the Brooder

Nov 13, 2018
    Hi folks, I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.
    Situation is this: Raquel is a 10 month old Barred Rock hen. We keep the chickens in a large back yard with access to their henhouse and the back porch, which is roofed. She seemed in perfect health at noon. We've been having heavy rain all day and the hens were all hanging out on the porch. I think at some point someone else in the house shooed them off the porch and into the coop. I went out at 5pm just now to feed them and couldn't find Raquel. She was standing under a bush with her eyes closed and her feathers fluffed up. Her feet are very cold. I brought her in the house and now have her under a heat lamp. She can just barely stand, won't open her eyes and her beak is slightly parted as she breathes but I don't hear any whistling or rasping, labored breathing. I don't see any signs of wounds.
    What could have happened to her so fast?? What do I do?

2. ChocolateWingTheRooster

ChocolateWingTheRooster Songster

Jul 17, 2019
    Holland, MI
    I had that happen to one of my chickens, she died... I hope yours has more luck, but... do you mind if I tag some people that may know more than me?

3. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Rain can sometimes reconstitute insecticide that you sprayed days before, causing it to contaminate a puddle a chicken might drink from. It sickens and kills in just a few hours.

I've had this happen, ashamed to admit.

4. Viergacht

Viergacht In the Brooder

Nov 13, 2018
    Please do! I appreciate any help.

5. Viergacht

Viergacht In the Brooder

Nov 13, 2018
    That's good to know. We haven't sprayed anything, although it's possible the neighbors did.

6. Granny Hatchet

Granny Hatchet Tastes like chicken

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    sounds like shock to me but your doing treatment already by giving her heat. Quiet and maybe dark too. You dont have snakes or anything that could of bit her that wouldnt show up?

7. Viergacht

Viergacht In the Brooder

Nov 13, 2018
    I haven't seen any snakes around here. We're in the suburbs and pretty far away from farms but of course you can never tell.

8. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    what state are you in please lift each wing to see if there may be a wound under one

9. Granny Hatchet

Granny Hatchet Tastes like chicken

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I hope she is better in the am. Is she laying ? When you checked her did you look for egg binding and mites?

10. Viergacht

Viergacht In the Brooder

Nov 13, 2018
    Frederick, MD. I checked all over, but no wounds to be seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: