1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suddenly taking 3 hrs to lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barbieszoo, Jan 15, 2011.

1. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    I've got a sweet white silkie hen who I've only had just over a month and love. She is a very prolific layer, giving us 5 to 6 eggs a week in this cold weather. She just started laying about 3 weeks before I got her,(so about November). Usually she just starts singing a little, hunkers down where she's going to lay for a few minutes, lays an egg, may sit there a little while after, then gets up and goes on about her day. She's a pretty active girl, very curious and happy. The past 3 days though, I've noticed her not wanting to come out in the morning, just staying in hunkered down like a broody, but she's not broody. She stays like that for about 3 or 4 hours, then finally I see her out and about, I go check, and sure enough, there's another egg. She won't eat or drink when she's like that, and if I scoop her up, she'll go peck a few bites of food then go back and huddle up again. She doesn't appear in distress at all when she is doing that, but she just won't move, and it's not her normal behavior, so I've been a little worried. It worries her silkie "sister" too, when she's not coming out. There's just the two of them, so that causes her to either stay in with her, or go out alone and not act very happy. Anybody else had this happen? Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Hmmm I haven't had that happen but hopefully someone will come along with some info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by