Suddenly Terrified?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DuckMochi, Dec 7, 2017.

1. DuckMochi

DuckMochi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    A few days ago when I went out to say hello to our 4 hens and 2 ducks they were terrified of me. Like obviously all birds kind of wander away when you approach them but they were running and even the ducks were FLYING away from me. They were absolutely terrified f me. And this is already strange because they've never been scared of me, I would sit out there and they'd just come up to me and check me out and the ducks, especially my pekin, let me pet him and scratch him. But now they're all deathly afraid of me. Even when I get kale, their favorite snack, they will only get so close to me. I have to rip off pieces and throw them so they can get some and even when I throw it it scares them sometimes. Sometimes my pekin will still come up to me and eat the kale out of my hand, but when I stand up and try to go to him he is scared of me too. All their feathers spread out like I'm some sort of terrible creature... I don't know what happened. They were just like this that one morning and they haven't got much better.

Is it because the weather is changing? It's getting a lot colder and a lot windier here than it has before and this is their first winter... but I definitely didn't do anything that would cause them to be afraid of me. It makes me sad, I don't want them to be scared!

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Think back to what you may have picked up as you approached them. You may have done it unconsciously. I have chickens who have known me for going on ten years, and if I pick up something unfamiliar to them, such as a patio chair, they all flee as if I were the big bad wolf.

It could also have been something you were wearing that they had never seen. Or they may have seen a predator lurking coincidental to your approaching them that escaped your notice.

3. DuckMochi

Jun 16, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    @azygous I was wearing a robe the day I noticed it and that was the first time I had worn one outside... was that really what it was? Will they go back to normal? We don't have predators where we are

Smuvers Farm, azygous and Altfrizzle like this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Gasp! They were traumatized by your lack of decorum!!
    Just kidding......the robe is probably what did it.
    Do you usually wear pants?
    Have you been back out in your usual clothes?

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Heck, even strange footwear will set off a chicken. We're talking about creatures that absolutely do not approve of changes of any sort.

Yes, they will revert back to their reasonable selves once you get back with the program - the one they approve of.

sourland and nminusyplusm like this.
  6. Altfrizzle

Altfrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2017
    Ridgefield, CT
    It was totally the robe.

Mine were out in pouring rain one day and I tossed a throw blanket over my head to keep dry when going to put them in.

They freaked out SO BAD.

nminusyplusm and azygous like this.
  7. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I put on the wrong trousers one day and freaked mine out..... to be fair, I almost always live in blue or black jodhpurs and this day was a hot summer day and I pulled on a loose pair of patterned beige harem pants to see to the chucks..... there was mayhem!
    Actually some of them are a bit unhappy with me at the moment because I have been wearing green over trousers.

So yes, your robe is almost certainly the issue.

8. DuckMochi

Jun 16, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    Well I'm glad they're not terrified of ME just my robe! like I said that was the first time I'd worn one outside. I live in Arizona, so 90% of the year I'm in shorts and a tanktop. So this was a big change for them... I was also wearing snowflake patterned pajama pants. I can't help it! It's gotten so cold! But if they are so judgemental on what I wear I guess I'll just have to freeze for them!

PennyM, peckpeckpeck and azygous like this.
  9. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Judgemental is their middle name.

PennyM likes this.
  10. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I must have pretty chill and laid back Ducks because the only time they've ever freaked out was the time I carried an open umbrella while letting them out for the day. Other than that, they really don't seem to care what I'm wearing - and as long as the food dish and pools get refilled in a timely manner, they don't even seem to care if I'm the one to do it, or if it's my husband, farm sitter, stranger, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by