Suddenly Vegetarian... Yikes!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rustic Chicken, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. Rustic Chicken

    Rustic Chicken In the Brooder

    Jun 2, 2010
    OK, am I nuts or has this happened to anyone else? I have gone through sporadic phases in my life where I stop eating meat for periods of time but it has been awhile, but now that I have these cute little chicks that I am raising for layers and I cannot bring myself to eat chicken. I have a protein deficiency and am allergic to beans, nuts and soy so it is important that I eat meat. Any help to get over this would be appreciated. [​IMG]
  2. Miltonchix

    Miltonchix Taking a Break

    Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Like I tell my grandkids........"we never name or become attached to our food". They now love to help when we send the meat birds to "freezer camp".
  3. WoodlandWoman

    WoodlandWoman Crowing

    May 8, 2007
    Are you also allergic to lentils? They are a legume like beans, but aren't a bean. Can you eat quinoa? It doesn't have a huge amount of protein in it, but it has a more complete amino acid profile.

    How do you feel about eating eggs, beef, pork, fish or other seafood? Eggs are good protein.

    What is most important to me is that the creature had a good life while it was alive and a humane death. You could look for a more humane source of food. There are a lot of people producing pastured meat.
  4. Wifezilla

    Wifezilla Positively Ducky

    Oct 2, 2008
    Eggs, sea food and dairy. STAT!
  5. Sunny Side Up

    Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

    Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] and to the fun of chickeneering.

    I know it can be difficult to reconcile one's love for their new baby chicks and their love for nourishing chicken on the plate. But I think you can continue to enjoy eating chicken without feeling disloyal to your own laying hens.

    The facts of chicken life for standard breeds like your layers are that only about 10% of all the roosters hatched will find employment as breeders, flock husbands, or pets. That leaves around 90% of them having their purpose on a plate somewhere. And there are far worse fates than living a brief healthy life then providing nourishment for some grateful people.

    Most of the chickens that people eat in this country are a type selectively bred to grow to maturity in just 8 weeks. Beyond that they have a short life expectancy and would die on their own anyway.

    I have learned to love both baby chicks in my coop and savory chicken served on my plate. Like I tell my kids, "Don't worry, we won't eat them while they're cute & fuzzy!"

    The best you can do is to choose chicken that has been raised in the best, most humane conditions you can find.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
  6. Rustic Chicken

    Rustic Chicken In the Brooder

    Jun 2, 2010
    Thanks guys... your comments have been really helpful. I feel very stupid about the whole thing. I have no problem eating the eggs, I just suddenly realized that I didn't know if I could eat chicken! We have a local organic free range chicken farm nearby that I will be a good alternative should I get up the courage to eat chicken again. If not, seafood and lentils it is:D
  7. SallyF

    SallyF Songster

    Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a BIL who used to raise sheep, cattle, and chickens. He also hunted deer and they ate venison. They started every meal with a prayer of thanks and appreciation for the life of the animal they were about to consume. Their children never had a problem with Fluffy or Bambi being dinner that night.
  8. DuckLady

    DuckLady Administrator

    Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    You are perfectly normal!

    I used to love roast duck, but am unable to eat it since becoming a duck slave.
    I know it is silly, but there it is.

    I never had a problem with chickens. My pet chickens were just that. Fun colorful breeds that laid eggs and ate treats from my hand.

    Meat chickens are meat chickens. I will be raising my first ones this fall, I hope. They will not be interacted with beyond making sure they are well cared for.

    People go through cycles where they don't eat meat. For me, in summer, I almost exclusively eat veggies and fruits.
  9. Goose and Fig

    Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

    Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Yes- especially salmon and yogurt. Not necessarily at the same time. Mmmmm mmmm.
  10. Wifezilla

    Wifezilla Positively Ducky

    Oct 2, 2008
    Ever try Salmon in yogurt sauce? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: