Suddenly weird crow from teenager...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Egg Rookie 2010, May 6, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    So my EE roo who is now about 13 weeks has been giving and enthusiastic crow for quite some time now. The last few days he is crowing but then a werid thing happens. Have you ever had pneumonia and after you exhale then your lungs still squeeze out one last weird bit of air? Well he gives a good crow then this odd nearly silent "echo" crow. A friend said he sounds asthmatic. (she is not a chicken person) he is NOT sneezing, coughing, runny nostrils. He IS eating, drinking but acting more aggressive with the girls than usual. So....any ideas? Is something wrong with him? The weather is great and other birds are acting normally.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've had two roosters like that; still have one as a matter of fact (Impy). I consider it to be normal.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    My BO sounds like that too. He is a year and a half old and has never shown signs of illness. I just tell people he has a leak. [​IMG]

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Maybe he's giving it a little too much 'oomph' ?

5. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    gritsar seriously over 23 THOUSAND posts?!? Amazing! Thanks for your input all....I feel better now!

6. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    My BCM roo does it all the time. It sounds quite odd. We all had a preconceived idea of what a crow was supposed to sound like. I now know that a rooster's crow sometimes doesn't even sound like a crow! Stumpy's crow sounds like a quiet growl at the end of the regular crow (which is not particularly melodic anyhow).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by