1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suden Paralysis like symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylittlehippie, Jun 27, 2015.

1. mylittlehippie

mylittlehippie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2013
    This morning my bantam cochin who is 3+ years old suddenly couldn't stand. She could barely move at all, frequently falling and rolling then getting stuck on her side or back. Then after lying there for a bit she seemed to be fine and began walking on her own. Then the symptoms returned. She has a chick right now that hatched about 6 weeks ago. The chick seems fine. I had a chicken display these same symptoms a year ago then die. Nothing since then or before. Yesterday she was totally normal. Any ideas what this could be? Thank you!

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Paralysis seems to be getting more common in chickens. I just lost a month old chick to it recently.

Here's a great link on diseases and injuries that can cause paralysis. Make sure they are getting enough vitamins, that they aren't over heating, and that she doesn't have any injuries.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Best of luck!

3. Gossie

Gossie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    I had the same thing happen to my buff orpington rooster, Thomas Jefferson, except he never got up or moved his legs. We placed him by the water and moved him to the food when we visited the coop, but he died anyway. I'm sorry this is happening to your chickens too. I hope your chickens will have a better outcome.

4. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I'm sorry to hear about your rooster. [​IMG]

5. PertyGertie

PertyGertie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Southwest Michigan
    Have you had any other chickens affected?

6. mylittlehippie

mylittlehippie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2013
    No one else ever had any issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by