Suede Gets Younger Women Today (Pic Heavy!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Oct 25, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yesterday, my big old blue Orp rooster, Suede, lost one of his three hens, my Smoky, to crop stasis. We tried for a week to save her, but her crop just quit and refused to get working again, even after surgery. She was one of only two blue Orp hens I currently had. Meg, flaming red RIR/Buff Orp out of exhibition stock, was his #3 girl. Even though Suede is about to turn 5 yrs old along with Meg, and is not an aggressive breeder, I didn't want him to be left with only two aging hens so today, I removed my big, super gorgeous Buff Orp pullets from the main flock and gave them to Suede. Hope and Grace came from Jody Hinkle, who has fabulous Buffs. They are 28 weeks old tomorrow. So far, no huge war going on in the pen. [​IMG] Suede has been dancing his big heart out to impress the new ladies, of course. Thought you'd like to see pictures of the new grouping. *Dusty & Suede are molting so excuse that, and Dusty's comb used to be upright till she tried to dub herself on the fence this year*[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Meg, picking dirt off Suede's face-they're really like some old married couple, LOL:

[​IMG]

RIP, beautiful Smoky, mother of many gorgeous sons and daughters:

[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe, Cyn....Suede looks happy! I'm tearing up, though, about Smoky. Sigh. She was beautiful...I know she is missed. [​IMG]

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    R.I.P. Smoky, mother of my Ultrasuede and Silkie!

Ah, I am glad you gave Suede Hope and Grace, he is standing tall and looking good! Those girls are beautiful!

4. AllyRodrigues

AllyRodrigues Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    They're such a beautiful group!

5. speckledhen

Thank you, Ally. I hope the addition of Hope and Gracie helps Suede get over losing Smoky. They are huge and super fluffy and should help that coop stay warm through the winter. Isaac (the Delaware rooster in my avatar) didn't need them, anyway-he still has 19 hens all to himself.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So sorry to hear about Smoky. [​IMG]

Look at those big fluffy butts on the Buffs! Doesn't look like you're too far off from getting eggs from one of them. Suede is handsome, even it he's molting. (my roo looks far worse right now) Looks like a nice, healthy flock.

7. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ahhh those Buff Orp girls are sooo pretty! I have one and I looove her!

So sorry for your loss though.... [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Thanks, I think Hope and Gracie are gorgeous. I wanted more eggs from Jody because of my Nugget, also from her flock of Buffs. Nugget is raising her 5th brood (a lone Delaware chick) now-she'll be 4 in April, if I remember. Suede has lived longer than I ever thought he would. He's outlived two BR roosters of mine and outlived three blue Orp hens as well. Such a wonderful rooster, he's always been, calm, sweet, easy to handle, never a moment's trouble.

9. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry to hear about Smoky. [​IMG] She was a lovely lovely lady.

Two big beautiful fluffy butts should help Suede get over the blues quickly! They are gorgeous buffs and hopefully soon there will be more little Suedelettes from them.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  10. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Lovely flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by