Suede's New Bride...Well, She Will Be Soon..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Aug 20, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You all know my bitg Blue Orp cockerel, Suede, and his lovely lady Velvet. Soon, he will have his new young lady with him permanently. Her name is Skye and she is turning 18 weeks old this Friday. She is extremely shy, so it's hard to get a picture of her face, LOL, but here is one today:
    [​IMG]

I did put her in with Suede, but his older women were not amused and Skye flew over a 5'4" gate three times to get away. Soon, she'll be too hefty to do that. Guess I'll try again in a few days.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Poor suede, leave it to some old hen to ruin a date with the new chicky [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

Suede was practically drooling over her. He danced all around her, but she was so scared of him, she cleared the gate again. I need her in with her own breed before Hawkeye discovers that she's ready to lay and available to him. Thank goodness my main rooster isn't a big horndog or he'd have tried it already.

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Sounds like Skye is finding out just how high she can fly! lol

She will probably be interested in Suede herself before too long, he is such a pretty boy. Keep us posted.

Hopefully 15/16 more days to go before he is a daddy, does he know? [​IMG]

Jill

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] She is beautiful! No wonder Suede was dancing!

6. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    them is going to be some fabulous looking chicks from those two birds for sure! Guess its going to be a matter of getting on the waiting list for hatching eggs from those two next spring huh?

7. speckledhen

aran, that list already has a few people on it so if you want on it officially, just send me your name and address and phone number. I'm just putting on tentative customers right now, no specific dates or commitments, just so I can remember who has asked for them in the spring.
    Jill, I haven't told Suede about his possibly impending fatherhood, but I will today and let you know what he says, LOL. What do you give a rooster in lieu of a cigar??
    Oh, and Skye won't be able to clear that gate in a couple of weeks if she packs on the fluff like Velvet did at that age. I can't imagine Velvet getting 5" off the ground, much less 5 FEET!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  8. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    My EE flies up to my shoulder all the time and she is getting to be a CHUNK! I dont know how she does it.

I cant imagine seein somethin like Suede flying thru the air like that for sure!

9. speckledhen

SCARY, LOL![​IMG] Nope, I'd run for cover for sure! EE and Ameraucanas are known for their flying. That's why my Scout and his women are in a covered pen! And they've hit the top at times flying up so I know they could clear that with no problem.

10. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Skye is beautiful. Suede should be very happy with her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by