Suet Blocks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 5littlechickens, Sep 9, 2009.

1. 5littlechickens

5littlechickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    O.K. so on the thread about flock blocks, there was also some talk about suet blocks, is it o.k. to feed those to your chickens?

Jody

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Some is fine. Just remember Suet is high in fat and chickens don't need any extra fat in the summer.

Matt

3. 5littlechickens

Aug 29, 2009
    So not so much in the summer but it would be o.k. in the winter sometimes. How about the bird feed blocks that don't have the suet? Would that be o.k. to give them as a treat for pecking on? My birds are horrible at pecking out all there chicken feed and making a huge mess.

Jody

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    My chickens get some bird seed as a treat from time to time. Just DO NOT put it in there feed bowl. They will throw all it out to find more seed and leave a big mess. A couple handfuls on the ground or a block hanging from a tree works just fine.

Matt

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
  6. 5littlechickens

Aug 29, 2009
    Quote:I read that post, it's what got me thinking about the other blocks. I'm headed to the feed store today so I thought I would try one of the little bird seed blocks and see how they like it. I'm hoping it might cut down on the feed throwing if they have something else fun to peck at.

Thanks everyone,
    Jody

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed them. I find that a block lasts 12 hens about 2 weeks, a little less in winter. Keeps the coat lustrous. Mine are in a slow moult, and egg production is down by about 1/3 but the birds look good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by