Suet for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nevada Sun, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Nevada Sun

Nevada Sun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    I know this has been on before but from what I can see awhile ago.. so Have any of you used pure suet with some bird seed around it for your chickens.. but not sure it is ok for the chickens what do you think?

2. biggschicks

biggschicks New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    I just bought some suet today for my chickens, and was wondering the same thing. Is it ok for them to eat? I hope someone gives a response soon. :)

3. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    Last winter I hung up those suet cakes embedded with wild bird seed that are intended for feeding wild birds. They sorta pecked at it a little at a time over several weeks (my little bantam was most successful since her small beak would fit between the bars of the metal feeder that held the suet cake). She's alive and thriving today so I guess it was okay.

Wouldn't make it a regular part of their diet though as too much protein is hard on their kidneys--so I've heard others on this forum say. It was just something to do when they didn't want to go ranging in the deep snow.

4. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Mine get one once a week and i just lay it on the ground and they love it! I think the oils would be good ror their skin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by