Suet question...

Scissors65

Songster
May 8, 2019
Palmetto, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I wanted to buy a block of suet for inside the run, that I could hang for the girls to volly ball around for a little entertainment.
I found one made for chickens at the super mart. And I also seen these (picture below).
The one I go made especially for chickens was almost four times the cost!
I know this may be a silly question, but is there any reason I should not use one of these?
I don't plan on keeping this in the run all the time, it is only for a rainy day for a short period of time, and entertainment for the girls.
Thanks in advance for any input...
suet.jpg

I tried giving mine sure a few years back and my birds ignored them. Too much fat isn't good for chickens, so they should be used sparingly. You might be better off tossing some scratch in your run for them to seek out. It will keep them digging and foraging, and exercising.

The chicken block was mainly made from mealworms.
That could explain the higher price....or just that it's labeled for chickens.

Too much fat isn't good for chickens, so they should be used sparingly. You might be better off tossing some scratch in your run for them to seek out. It will keep them digging and foraging, and exercising.
Good advice there^^^

I tried giving mine sure a few years back and my birds ignored them. Too much fat isn't good for chickens, so they should be used sparingly. You might be better off tossing some scratch in your run for them to seek out. It will keep them digging and foraging, and exercising.
Thank you, I never thought about the fat content.

Did you compare the ingredients, if they’re made of the same thing that’ll answer your question.

That being said I give my hens the regular suit cakes in the winter, this time of year I stick with squash and zucchini.
No, I didn't think to compare. The chicken block was mainly made from mealworms. Not really sure what the suet blocks had in them....I guess I'll have to read the labels lol. Thank you!

The cheap “wild bird” suet blocks in sold in my area come with a Proposition 65 warning. AKA “this product contains ingredients know to the state of California to cause cancer or reproductive harm” so just keep that in mind it probably isn’t livestock grade.

Back
Top Bottom