1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sandy16, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    Hi all.....I did some research on this site and the info (from 2 years ago) seems to be split - is it OK to give chickens suet? I know that it is high in fat, but I thought that with these cold, cold temps that we've been having, it would be fine for a special treat. We haven't been above freezing for high temps for about 3 days..nights into the teens.

thanks![​IMG]

2. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    I would think it would be ok. I dont see a reason for it to be bad, I feed my chickens bird suet with seeds on it with no problems at all... I say go for it!!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a purina flock block out in the coop, they eat on it all winter.

4. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] yeah u can feedem seut cakes ive only gave mine 4 since ive had them and they seem to lovem plus it must be ok for them cause if it wasnt they wont drop over dead lol but they should like suet cakes its full of fat and that'll hepl keepem warm in the cold months [​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I would put a small amount of a suet block in the run for a short time and only during very cold weather. A steady diet of it all winter long is not a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by