Sufficient Ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gammond, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Gammond

Gammond Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    We are converting a shed with no windows into a chicken coop, as I need a bigger space. Are the rafters (with soffit) good enough for ventilation?
    There is also no insulation.. our winters get down to -35 on the coldest nights (central BC). I am using a large heated dog dish with the chicken waterer on top (with a back up generator).

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Insulation isn't needed but you need more ventilation. Can you add windows and vents. Sunlight will help with warmth in the winter, even if you can't open them.

3. Gammond

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    We have a full sized glass door, but you figure we should still add vents?

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Yes, moisture build up is what causes frost bite, not the temps themselves. Adequate ventilation will keep it drier. The moisture from exhalation and droppings and a waterer really build up otherwise.

5. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Generally accepted numbers for permanently open ventilation is 1 sq.ft. per chicken. As SunHwsKon stated, it's the moist air that will cause issues not the cold. The ventilation needs to be situated in such a way that cold air is not blowing directly on roosting chickens when they roost so higher up, above the chickens heads is better.

We added hardware cloth covered openings both front and rear in out coop.

Front protected from weather by the front porch roof...

[​IMG]

Rear protected from weather by foundation vets mounted on the out side.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

That looks like a chicken palace, not a coop. Lucky birds.

7. Gammond

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    Thanks everyone! I have a lot of reading and modifying to do... here is a picture of the shed. [​IMG]

8. treefrogging

treefrogging Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    Cute shed! This post was helpful because I also converted the back half of a shed into a coop. Put in one gable vent and one window, covered with hardware cloth for extra protection from predators. But it gets quite moist in there still and I think I need to add much more ventilation!

9. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Is it metal? I have heard that the metal sheds sweat and thus have moisture issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by