Suffield Connecticut Planning Chicken Regulations

YankeeRider

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 6, 2009
North Central Connecticut
A note in the minutes of the May Zoning & Planning Commission meeting said that the town planner is planning to introduce regulations regarding chickens.I called him to see what the issues and plans were. He said he hadn't drafted anything yet, but his goal was to permit chickens on property less than 5 acres, given people can have 2 horses on 2 acres, but need to have 5 acres for chickens. His heart is in the right place, but, a careful reading of the zoning regs will show that the regs do not require 5 acres for chickens! In fact, the only references to poultry all reference "for commercial purposes." Nevertheless, anyone interested in assisting provide guidance before we are hit with new rules may PM me if you want to discuss. This topic may come up at the Jun 18 Zoning commission meeting.

Hi There
How did you make out? Have the restrictions in SUFFIELD, CT CHANGED since you last posted? I also live in Suffield CT and HAD been getting very excited about the idea of raising chickens lol --just 4 or 5 hens, as pet and for eggs of course - no roo - that is until I began to read various posts stressing that there might be regulations against it. We only have a little over an acre on a cul de sac with a tree and shrub nursery at the very end and two other neighbors who have 2 ponies and 3 horses respectively. All great. Love it. There's a large 18 acre field across from us that gets hayed twice a season so it must be considered farmland too. Someone nearby also (not sure if its actually on our street or an a joining street, has a rooster for certain. :) Also fine with me. We are also wooded on three sides. All this being said, I never dreamed chickens might be a problem IN THIS TOWN, unless you live on Main Street in the historical district!!!. LOL In fact, our closest neighbors (who recently moved unfortunately) kept a few lovely hens for a while. Again, figured they'd be no problem. I'm now a little skittish about contacting the powers that be about this- I guess because I won't like the disappointing answer I get (unless you have heard some good news??????)

Back
Top Bottom