Sugaaaar...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Ec_Prokta, May 27, 2010.

1. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    I would like a recipie on some easy sweet to make. No mug cake, although those are good! Thanks!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Do you want it now?

Chocolate or not?

What do you have on hand?

Hi PK, [​IMG] The other day I way craving chocolate, so I made a box of dark chocolate brownie mix, and to fancy it up I put coconut in it and on top. Yum, even for a mix!

3. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Ranchie, I thought PK was just going to eat the sugar straight from the package with a spoon. [​IMG]

Otherwise, I like to make peanut brittle. It's only complicated if you don't like to use a candy thermometer. Otherwise, it's pretty quick, and very tasty. [​IMG]

1 C. sugar
    1/2 C. light corn syrup
    1/4 tsp. salt (omit if you use salted peanuts)
    1/4 C. water
    1 C. shelled peanuts
    2 tbs. butter, softened
    1 tsp. baking soda

Grease a large cookie sheet. In a heavy, 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat to boiling sugar, corn syrup, salt and water, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts. Set candy thermometer in place and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until temperature reaches 300F or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.

Remove from heat. Immediately stir in butter and baking soda. Pour at once onto cookie sheet.

With 2 forks, lift and pull peanut mixture into rectangle about 14" by 12". Cool. With hands, snap candy into small pieces.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Cream of wheat or chocolate Malt-O-Meal with brown sugar and maple syrup.

5. Ec_Prokta

Jan 14, 2009
    Quote:Yes.

Don't have any.

A bunch. I just don't know what to make with it.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hiya Orp! Oooh, peanut brittle, good stuff! My sister makes it in the microwave, I'll have to ask her how she does it.

7. Ec_Prokta

Jan 14, 2009
    Quote:I'd love to, but Pooch broke our candy thermometer. Thanks!

8. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Quote:I'd love to, but Pooch broke our candy thermometer. Thanks!

Bad Pooch! [​IMG]

You can always use the ice water method, and just check it frequently. 300F is the temp where the sugary mixture makes hard, crunchy little threads when it hits the water, not at all soft. If you can squish it between your fingers, it's not done. It's called the Hard Crack stage, which is about as hot as you can get it without burning it. If you use medium heat, it takes about 20-30 minutes, stirring almost constantly.

9. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Quote:Terrie, are you trying to kill her with healthy? [​IMG]

10. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:I had a recipe for almond roca in the microwave it was really good and tasted just the same.

I will have to look for it again....you can make it and put in freezer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by