1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sugar cane waste as litter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chookydeb, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Chookydeb

Chookydeb Out Of The Brooder

can i pick more experienced minds?

i have my coop set up with deep litter, this time when i cleaned it i couldnt get shavings and i dont like straw (not that i could get any at the end of winter here anyway) so i had a brainwave and used sugar cane mulch i bought from the local nursery, its clean and a bit like a cross between chopped up staw and shavings, it seems fine so far - has anybody else used it or is there any reason i shouldnt use it?

one interesting thing is that the chickens dont seem to want to dig it out as much as they did shavings and straw - it is slightly heavier texture than either of those but that wouldnt bother these destructive little monsters much [​IMG]

2. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    I'm not experienced with chickens, but that does sound like an interesting idea!!

3. Chookydeb

this morning i turned it over and loosened it up a bit, its great, bone dry and no smell other than a slight sweet smell, at $10 a bail its a bargain

4. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Does it look like regular shavings or do you have a picture of what it looks like?

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I would make sure that pesticides weren't used on the sugar cane because when we lived in Louisiana we lived near a cane field and they sprayed the heck out of those fields....

6. Chookydeb

they spray the heck out of wheat too so theres not much difference, it must be ok because this is the waste from the mill, if it was full of pesticides so is the sugar...hmm, good reason to not eat sugar [​IMG]

7. Chookydeb

umm, it looks like a cross between shavings and straw, like roughly chopped thick grass, mine is a bit more chopped than this picture, like coarse chaff
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by