Sugar chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, May 12, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I did a lot of reading on this site before ordering my day olds. They are now 13 weeks and spend a lot of time roaming the back yard before returning to the run for a short nap.
    They must be made of sugar because as soon as it starts to rain they are on a dead run to the covered run so they don't melt. It is funny to watch. Are all chickens water shy? I never read anything about water shy chickens. John

2. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Mine run inside when it rains, too. I think they think the sky is falling!

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Their mamas taught them to come in out of the rain. [​IMG]

Most, but not all, chickens will prefer NOT to be out in the rain.

4. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mine love rain! Even as nasty as it was yesterday, most of them were outside.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I think that it depends on the temperature, and the chickens, John! It rained all day yesterday by me, and every one of them stood out in it all day!

6. newchik

newchik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2007
    My chickens usually come in out of the rain. However, if it's a light rain and they're ranging in our treed area, they'll stay outside.

7. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Most of mine hate rain but when I come out they run out of their coop and wait for me to feed them. But some (especially my polish) prefer to stayout.

8. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    My Cuckoo Marans seem to really not mind it much, even brood hen didn't try to get the little ones inside out of the wet.

It wasn't really a gully washer though just a gentle spring shower.

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I was suprized that mine don't seem to mind the rain or the gusts of wind that usually accompany it around here! However it was pretty cute to watch them in their first ever hail storm earlier today! Its like pattycake said, I think they think the sky is falling! It took a few seconds before they decided they should take cover! They looked at each other like, did you see that?![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by