Sugar cookie help PLEASE

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by debilorrah, Dec 24, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I made the dough last night, I took it out a minute ago and it is hard as a rock. I double checked the recipe and I did it right! Will it soften up enough to roll if I leave it out.

PS - this is the first time trying a sugar cookie recipe with powdered sugar. [​IMG]

2. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    Without powered sugar? what did u use instead? I 'd just leave it out and hope. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

No WITH powered sugar. I have always used regular and thought I would try this one.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Yes as soon as you start rolling it, it will soften, I think it gets too soft after rolling out just once.

And I came here to tell you to stop callin me sugar cookie, you know people will talk [​IMG]

5. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    i have no idea sweetie, but at this point you have no choice but to leave it out and try. And trash that recipe for next year.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I didnt like the recipe either, they seem to expand a lot more than other years cookies. (Our recipe said leave 2 inches between cookies, and it need that much room) I actually cut the dough out of the bowl with a spatula, but it does soften quickly.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  7. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    My recipe calls for powered sugar. Use powered sugar to "flour" the counter top. The dough is best used cold. Keep the portion you are not using in the fridge. As you roll the dough out and handle it it will soften. Remember every time you roll it out and reuse it the cookies will be tougher. Try to spread the dough out as much as possible and have little waste, refrigerate the waste and then knead all the waste pieces together for one last roll out.

Using powered sugar instead of flour to roll out the dough will keep the dough from getting tough.

Good luck and have a wonderful holiday

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:MC is right.

I rolled my Sugar Duckies out a quarter of the dough at a time. When the scraps got too soft, I put them back in with the cold dough to firm up a bit.
    The recipe I used has no powdered sugar, but does have a bit of nutmeg which gives it a nice flavor. [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

Well this was a total fail. I would have had a hard time hammering a nail into that and it took me turning the bowl upside down and running hot water on it for 5 minutes before I could even pound that big old puck outta the bowl. FAIL!

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I didnt like the recipe either, they seem to expand a lot more than other years cookies. (Our recipe said leave 2 inches between cookies, and it need that much room) I actually cut the dough out of the bowl with a spatula, but it does soften quickly.

hell really has frozen over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by