Sugar Free Gum Can Be Deadly to Dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by werblessd1s, Sep 23, 2008.

  1. werblessd1s

    werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

    255
    0
    139
    Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    I received this in an email so I wanted to share since almost everyone has a dog.


    This one is TRUE according to SNOPES: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp.

    Warning to all dog owners - Please pass this on to everyone you can. Even if you don't have a dog, I'm sure you know several people who do and may not know of this danger to their pet. Please take the time to read about this danger to dogs at the SNOPES link above.

    Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 lb Dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of a friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her face so I looked closer and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It contained Xylitol. I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if Xylitol was the ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one.

    Next, I called our vet. She said to bring her in immediately.

    Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another website to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe and said they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb the toxin (even though they don't think it works) then they would start an IV with dextrose. The Xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. The vet told us she would call us.

    Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents of her stomach contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care unit operating around the clock. We picked her up and took her there. They had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a donation; their doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment. They would continue the IV, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2 days test her liver function. She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in her leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared. Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After her blood sugar was stabilized, she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not seen her head in the purse, she probably would have died and we wouldn't even have known why. Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew about it since they are first learning about it too. Please tell everyone you know about Xylitol and dogs. It may save another life.

    Please take the time to pass this information on to anyone you know who has a dog.
     
  2. MagsC

    MagsC Queen Of Clueless

    Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Wow, now that is a fact I would never have guessed![​IMG] Learn something new every day, appreciate it.
     
  3. Beekissed

    Beekissed True BYC Addict

    ...and WE chew this stuff????? [​IMG]
     
  4. werblessd1s

    werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

    255
    0
    139
    Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I for one have never bought anything sugar free. I try to stay away from anything artificial, but that is hard to do!
     
  5. Beekissed

    Beekissed True BYC Addict

    Same here....never hardly chew gum but always try to find the regular kind...getting more and more difficult to do so. [​IMG]
     
  6. werblessd1s

    werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

    255
    0
    139
    Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    So true... so true, Beekissed.
     
  7. chickenma

    chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

    499
    2
    131
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    thank you for posting this
    I didn't know this. I chew suger free al the time when I buy gum.
    This is scary news
     
  8. jnjross

    jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    give me good old sugar,
    i never buy stuff with sugar subs, i remember many years 70's housewives were dropping dead from some side effect of some kinda artifical sweeter
     
  9. Beekissed

    Beekissed True BYC Addict

    I try to avoid all sugar-free items. Remember not long ago they were required to post a warning that it causes cancer in laboratory animals? I don't see those warnings anymore but I'm willing to bet that it still causes the cancer... [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by