Sugar water? Electrolytes? Nothing? What to add to water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CoffeeCow, May 23, 2010.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I am getting my chicks on Tuesday or Wednesday (They ship out in the morning from MPC).
    I have read a few things about putting electrolytes and/or sugar in their water when you first get them home.

I Guess I am asking what do I need to put in their water, if anything? and what are the benefits of doing this? (I think I read that they are less likely to die?)

The big day is coming soon, I want to be as prepared as I can, and thanks to this site, I feel like I am getting there fast [​IMG]

Thanks,
    CoffeeCow

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    ACV is always a good thing to put in

3. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    Quote:What is ACV?
    Sorry for the questions, I like to know things, Knowledge is power. And I want to do everything right for my chicks
    I am going to TSC this afternoon, and would like to know what I am looking for.

~moo!~

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I started with 2 waterers and put a small amount of sugar in one of them, nothing in the other for the first 48 hrs then switched to regular water in both. Some chicks preferred the sugar water, some didn't. The weak ones really took to the sugar water, it gives them extra calories (energy) that's easy to obtain/burn.
    I'd be hesitant to put electrolytes in the water, their chick food should contain what they need. If they're slow to eat mix some warm water in their crumbles on a plate to make a mash. My weak ones really enjoyed that too.

5. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    ACV is apple cider vinegar.
    I didn't use that either, but have heard for bad cases of pasty butt it works.

6. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    @ superchemicalgirl

Thanks for the info, that sounds like a good idea.
    I have the standard quart jug waterer (from TSC) About how much sugar did you use? 2 or 3 spoonfuls? less?

7. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I'd say it was about a teaspoon per quart waterer.

Also make sure to change the water at least 3 times a day, it gets messy fast.

8. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    Thanks for the info [​IMG]

I have raised 2 sets of wild ducks (both sets mom got hit by a car) so I am familiar with the mess... Hopefully Chicks are a bit cleaner than the ducks hehe

I have 3 ducklings in the chicken run now, they are cute little guys. Heres a pic of them (taken yesterday) Hopefully they will fly off before the chicks are ready to go out to the coop [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by