sugar water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by firedove, Feb 20, 2009.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I know it's good to give the chicks sugar water when they first come in, how much sugar should I use per 1 gallon of water?

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    They recommend 1 cup sugar to a gallon of water but be carefull because sugar water can cause pastybutt. I gave them sugar water the first day and was already having a little problem so i switched to vitamin and electrolites. It's avalible at feed store and i mixed it weaker than they recommend because it seemed to cause a little diarrhea. Some ppl recommend grow gel for the first day or two but i have no experience with it. Good Luck and happy clucking. O Yea welcome to BYC.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sugar water should only be used for the most stressed chicks when there is nothing else on hand.

Most new chicks only need fresh clean water and starter crumbles.

If you really feel the need to give them something you can add raw apple cider vinegar to the water (1 tbsp per gallon) or a good immunity boost. You an also buy the quik chik electrolytes and vit/mineral powder for the first couple days.

If you can please stay away from sugar water. After more than a few hours of drinking it the sugar water becomes like a laxative pulling water into the intestines and cause lots of runny poop and pasty butt which is not something you want to deal with.

4. RendonRoo

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Hello Miss Prissy, haven't seen you here lately, probably just missing you when your here. How long should a chick be given the vitamins and electrolites. I've been adding a little to their water every other time i fill water. Is there a downside to giving this more that a couple of days? Thanks miss prissy. Sorry if i hijacked this thread but i felt this might help several of us newbies on this subject. Thanks all and good luck

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The few times I have used the quik chik I usually do it about 2 - 3 days then put them on plain water.

Remember too much of a good thing in a tiny body can make them sick too.

6. RendonRoo

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Thanks Miss Prissy, I always value your opinion and as usual i greatly appreciate your help. Happy Clucking.

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You're welcome. Pastybutt is aweful to deal with if you have a brooder full with it.

8. RendonRoo

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Yes i just had one and she wasn't bad but it's no fun. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by