Sugar Water?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dangeralley, Apr 20, 2009.

1. dangeralley

dangeralley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    Can I give our sick 7-8 week old chicks sugar water? I was told it would help. thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How are they sick? What is wrong with them? Sugar water usually isn't given unless they just arrived from the hatchery; it can cause diarrhea and dehydration.

3. jprinc44

jprinc44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    south-central Va.
    try pedialite instead- the electrolytes are good for them.

4. dangeralley

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    there snezzing and have bubbles on there noses.

5. speckledhen

Where did you get these chicks? That sounds bad, the bubbles. Dry sneezing can be too much wet/ammonia in their bedding, but the other indicates disease. If you bought these, I hope they are not with any other birds.

6. dangeralley

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    Our bid hens gave it to our smaller chickens

7. speckledhen

So, your older hens are ill? Did you recently get them or have you had them awhile?

8. dangeralley

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    we got them a few weeks ago. I should have known something was wrong when the guy said he had 300 to sell and they were in a horse trailer. But now that I got them I want to get them well. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

Just know that many of the diseases they can have are herpes-type viruses and they will remain carriers of that disease for the rest of their lives, even if they look like they have recovered. This means that they can infect other birds from here on out and will from time to time, come down with the symptoms again themselves. I want you to be aware of this; it's the reason that my policy is no antibiotics for anything except injuries. Unless you know what they have, you will not know if they are ever well for real.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I just use Gatorade. Electrolytes AND plenty of that good old sucrose. A double whammy!

But I think Cyn is right, they have a respiratory infection. Maybe some terramycin therapy might work?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by