Sugary foods??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rennie, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Would feeding my chickens sugary foods (ie cakes with synthetic icing) cause them any problems ??..

Only reason for asking is i have some in the cupboard that are nearly stale and i knoiw for a fact they will eat them .. just dont know if they should

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It would be better to not give them any. I think it can gum up their insides or something.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've thrown out too old to be good cake to them and they ate it right up, along with discarded frosting. It's always funny to see the cats eating stuff with the chickens too. [​IMG] You'd think we don't feed the cats with how they eat what the chickens are eating.

That said, all treats in moderation.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I scrape off any sugary stuff I can and toss that part in the trash but give cakes to my flocks. I have so many birds there isn't any one that gets a lot.
    That being said, we seldom have any sweets left over here.[​IMG]

5. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

On a similar note, what about flavored rice cakes? I have an open bag of chocolate flavored rice cakes that my son refuses to eat.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Rice cakes should be OK since you won't be feeding a lot of them over time.

Sweet stuff, especially cake frosting, I wouldn't feed but a little. It's no better for them than it is for us and they're a lot smaller animal than we are.

.....Alan.

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    A.T. Hagan :

Rice cakes should be OK since you won't be feeding a lot of them over time.

Sweet stuff, especially cake frosting, I wouldn't feed but a little. It's no better for them than it is for us and they're a lot smaller animal than we are.

.....Alan.

I had the same thought last night about the body size also. I'd feed mine the cake part but not the sugary icing. Those ol' hens can sure rack up on the fat in a hurry and once they are too fat its hard to get them back into laying shape. So remember everything in moderation is about the best I can say.

catdaddy​

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  8. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Well I gave them the cakes ..but without the icing on - I dont think they noticed [​IMG]

9. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:I am making an assumption here but isn't chocolate bad for any animal? I know you said chocolate flavored but I have always just assumed that chocolate anything would be bad for them. I would think rice cakes on the other hand would be just fine.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine have eaten bad batches of chocolate chip cookies before and they are fine. But it was in moderation when there were about 30 birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by