sugestions for types of plants to put in a chickem yard

th_roster

Songster
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Floyd. va
last year I built my coop and a run and started with my flock with three hens. This year I have incresaed my flock to thirty chickens and I have built a 300 square foot yard. The run has a top but the yard is wide open. At the start of the summer I was free ranging the flock every day. As soon as the tomatos where ripe all the free ranging had to stop. I wouid loike to pant a wide range of plants in the yard. some for shelter, some for food and a few for looks. I have read a few of the post and I can plant bamboo in the yard. What other plants would be a good idea.
smile.png
smile.png
big_smile.png

Anything you put in the chicken's yard or run will disappear very fast. We had two trees cut down and used the mulched leaves and branches in the run they were over two feet deep and now just a few months later all of it is scratched and eaten away and they are back to dust bathing in the dirt lol

I buy the evergreen shrubs, and pine trees on clearance at Lowes and sometimes Walmart. The chickens cannot eat them, just scratch under them for shade.
I also planted lilacs and some other taller shrubs. The chickens did jump up and pick the leaves off the lower branches but once the shrub grew taller they left it alone.
I also got a willow tree which is very fast growing and planted it. Makes great shade in a hurry.
Just do not plant small stuff and grasses that they can walk down and eventually destroy.

everbering mullberry will be your best friend!

Also grow lettuce and watermelon if you can. Chickens LOVE those and they can't eat the watermelon unless you open it for them so there will be some for you too.

Shrubs and stuff like that. When the plant is small, Put a "tomato cage" over it and cover it with chicken wire. By the time it starts growning out of the cage it should be able to survive chickens.

ETA--I also have Carolina Jasmine growing on mine. It is actually planted on the outside of the run and a couple layers of chicken wire lead it up to the run where it grows up so the chickens can't pick it dead until it is established.

Last edited:
Daylilies can handle the chickens scratching and are non toxic and high in certain vitamens.Almost hassle free and colorful blooms.Also try sunflowers or safflowers.

Back
Top Bottom