Suggest a dual purpose meat bird and why.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Newchickenguy, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Newchickenguy

Newchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    I have never owned a chicken, however I have decided to start my own chickens as a way to provide meat and eggs for my family as I fear for the future, but that is another topic. Currently I am building my coop to house 1 rooster and 4 laying hens with another adjacant coop to raise there chicks for meat if need be. I want to select a variety that does both. I am NOT interested in cx birds as they are not sustainble. I want a broody bird that will hatch there own eggs in case there is no electric for an incubator or it breaks and I can't fix it. I keep hearing people that say dont order from a hatchery as there breeds are mostly for egg laying. Can someone with say over 5yrs experience rasing chickens for food tell me whats the one breed they would have if they could only have one breed. And can someone plz tell me where I can get chicks from one of these non hatchery breeders everyone keeps telling me about. I consider it an investment in my familys future so I could handle paying more for a breeder chicks to get started.

Again I am in no way interested in CX type chickens. Thanks so much for your input!

2. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Only 2 years experience

I would go with an Orpington, light in color. Orpingtons go broody more often than some other birds. I'd choose a light color because dark feathers leave dark stuff on the skin.

There are other birds that would work too. I'll let others tell you about them.

3. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    I would have to say Sussex. Very meaty birds that lay well a medium/large egg. I live a community that likes to buy meat birds and they always ask about my Light and Coronation Sussex (though they are for breeding at this point).

I would check BYC and eBay if you plan on hatching or Craigslist and here for chicks, but chicks are more common in the spring.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Well, on your previous thread of the same topic, I pretty much gave my views. Been doing this since 1959. Don't know if that qualifies for much experience or not. LOL

Hope you get some good input.

5. Newchickenguy

Nov 20, 2012
    I keep hearing that dark colored birds will leave dark spots. So a black australorp would not be a pretty meat bird after dressed but a white colored bird like a white plymouth rock would? What if you skinned both birds? And anyone can give input, its just that most threads I read are people that have idea but no experience lol. Two years is way more than me. Thanks

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Are you in a hot or cold climate? I am looking into naked necks and cubalayas as I will be in a very hot climate, and these breeds are said to do well in the heat and be quite tasty. Kathyinmo (I may be mixing up usernames...) has some amazing Delewares, and someone else has really nice looking Dorkings. I have heard really good things about cuckoo marans and dark cornish. I have found more information about sustainable meat birds in the breeds section as opposed to the meat birds section. Best of luck in your search.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Would Cornish be a good one?[​IMG]

8. Newchickenguy

Nov 20, 2012
    I live in WV so I would say a cold climate. Not the coldest but sometimes it can get in the low teens for a week or so.

9. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana

If you skin them it doesn't matter what color they are.

10. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I would go with the Orpington as they have exceptional meat, good foraging ability and Lg-XLg eggs and are pretty good layers of 150-200 eggs/year. Now they won't be laying machines like white leghorns (300+ year) however white leghorns have little meat and are flighty. Orpington's are also a really docile breed and would be good for a new chicken owner..

Also, I want to point out that raising dual breed chickens is not going to be a huge cost saver. . You will be lucky if you break even and there will be some amount of work. Of course there is many benefits but cost usually is not one. I would recommend having a coop big enough for at least 10 hens and 1 rooster. With only 4 hens (especially if one or two are broody) you will be buying eggs after the first season unless your family doesn't eat many. You need to have a cycle going of first years, second years.. Stewpot. Some older hens lay strong through spring and are excellent at raising chicks so you will have a few you will want to keep around for many years. You will also want a pen to raise to extra roosters every year and a brooder area.

I was in 4H as a child and grew up with chickens and have my own flock... Good luck with your first flock. :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by