Suggest a LF Breed!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by eggxelent, Oct 25, 2013.

1. eggxelent

eggxelent Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    I need advice on what breed of chicken to get next. I don't know if this breed even exists, but I'm willing to ask around!

My requirements:
    LF (I already have 2 EE's and 1 GSL)
    must be able to sex at hatch
    in the standard of perfection (showable)
    good personality(calm, maybe even lap chicken)
    hardy to cold and hot weather (where I live, it can get to 0 in winter and 100 in summer)

My preferences (I'd love it if the breed had these, but they're not required):
    colored egg
    cute
    not too big, the size of an EE or smaller
    good layer

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Were you describing the Cream Legbar or what? LOL -- I am strongly biased because I'm in the Cream Legbar Club and that is the breed that I have mostly settled on raising - although there are other breeds I like a LOT.

Here is a link to the Cream Legbar Club's web page....www.creamlegbarclub.com

My requirements:
    LF (I already have 2 EE's and 1 GSL) Medium sized chicken - we are working to increase weights.... figure around 4# just a tad smaller than my EE
    must be able to sex at hatch
    autosexing at hatch - a girl is a GIRL not a surprise!
    in the standard of perfection (showable)
    Not yet in the Standard of Perfection, but they are being shown including at the Texas State Fair in Dallas by 4H members. A lot of showing is going to be needed and ramped up to culminate in a Qualifying Meet to gain acceptance by the APA -- is the showing by any chance for your kids in 4H?
    good personality(calm, maybe even lap chicken)
    If raised by hand-meaning an incubator baby not raised by a broody, they are very docile and friendly-- in general they want to be independent - and don't rely on people when they can forage all those juicy bugs. They are generally well mannered and quiet in my flock.
    hardy to cold and hot weather (where I live, it can get to 0 in winter and 100 in summer)
    Our summers here have been 105 and although they pant, I have not had any losses do to the excruciating heat here. For cold weather we seldom get below the 20's and 30's in the winter....but for only short spells.
    My preferences (I'd love it if the breed had these, but they're not required):
    colored egg
    blue and blue-green in the USA
    cute
    Beyond adorable at all the stages of their lives...
    not too big, the size of an EE or smaller
    check as stated above
    good layer
    4 or more a week consistently - Pretty much every-other-day - blue egg layers tend to lay fewer than brown or white layers IMO. My very first layer was a Golden Comet - and they are Comets - nothing can keep up with them...but my current flock kept us in eggs well. (Right now they are molting and taking the short-daylight days as a vacation.

PM me if I can answer nay specifics about the breed....

3. 2seth2

2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    Ameracuana fun and recognized with blue eggs and EE size? What would you be showing in and could you breed? I know the Reno show circuit pretty well

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  4. eggxelent

Dec 19, 2012
    Seth: Currently (sadly) I can't breed, due to space restrictions, that's why I want to be able to sex the chicks. I'm new to shows, but I assume that by "What would you be showing in?" you mean either the class or the show. I'm not sure and don't really care what class, but the closest show that I know of is the Stockton show, I'm sure you know about it as you follow the "Nevadans" thread. I'd be showing as a youth or a junior in 4H.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. eggxelent

Dec 19, 2012
    but junior isn't what I am in 4H, I'm intermediate, if that even matters, which it probably doesn't. I was just saying that some shows call it "junior"

6. 2seth2

2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    I show 4h and there are several 4h shows a year and one open show in Reno. That was last weekend.

7. eggxelent

Dec 19, 2012
    Oh, I didn't know about that one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by