Suggested Breeds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmberKnits, Apr 4, 2018.

1. AmberKnits

AmberKnits Songster

Apr 28, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Hello!

We’ve had chickens for several years now. We also have a 1/2 acre private pond that just looks so lonely without ducks on it.

My duck knowledge is limited, but I would love a small flock that enjoys eating leeches. I would love some suggestions on breeds to look for.

tootmany and Quacking Pigeon like this.
  2. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    I’m not sure if ducks eat leeches. But some duck breeds I know are: Mallard (Domestic), Muscovy, Pekin, Silver Appleyard, Welsh Harlequin, Call, Indian Runner, Rouen, Cayuga, Blue Swedish, Black Swedish, Crested Duck, Duclair, Hook Bill, Alyesbury, Black East Indian, Golden 300, Khaki Campbell andBuff Orpington.

Do you want the ducks for egg production?

3. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Coop
    Ducks do eat leeches, but not in crazy high numbers.

Quacking Pigeon likes this.
  4. AmberKnits

AmberKnits Songster

Apr 28, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I’m still learning, but a quick google search tells me that ducks do eat leeches, and that they are a good source of protein.

I’m not worried about egg production, we have 35(ish) chickens already. Just hoping for a good beginners breed, something friendly - not too skittish.

5. AmberKnits

AmberKnits Songster

Apr 28, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Darn. Well, every little bit helps I suppose. It’s time to restock the pond anyway.

6. AmberKnits

AmberKnits Songster

Apr 28, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Pretty ducks would be nice, but mandarin hatching eggs are a bit out of my price range.
    I’m intrigued by the silver appleyards or maybe welsh harlequins? But, I don’t really know what I’m lookin for.

7. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Well that crosses off: Mallards, call ducks

I’m not too sure with a lot of these breeds as I haven’t kept them. The ones I’ve kept are mallards, muscovies and just some crossbreds.

Muscovies are a friendly duck, they are not domesticated from mallards. They are good layers but they can fly. Depending on how many ducks you want to keep it’s 1 drake for every 3 or 4 ducks.

I’m not too sure about most of the breeds I mentioned.

8. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Domestic Mallards are pretty but they can fly unless you get their wings preened or you trim regularly. I’m sure you see wild ones though.

There are also Silver Appleyard bantams and Welsh harquin bantams (I think). With bantam ducks you would have to trim their wings so they don’t fly away.

9. AmberKnits

AmberKnits Songster

Apr 28, 2015
    Upstate NY
    For now, 4-6 at the most. Chicken math has already gotten the better of me, and I’m also planning to add guinea fowl this year (just a few....). I’d also like to get through a winter with the new birds before committing to a larger number.

Quacking Pigeon likes this.
  10. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    You don’t want to end up like me with almost 20 or so ducks... I don’t even know why I have so many I only show a few of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: