Suggestion for a Pomeranian hair brush?And a short story...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NYRIR, Sep 28, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi,
    I just recently acquired a cute little 2 year old Pom.He was used for breeding and lived in a cage for the most part.When i got him he was very scared and smelled really bad....I gave him a bath but the only brush i have is a cat brush which doesn't do the job well enough.Since then I gave him a second bath (he needed it) and used a human brush but it still isn't as good as I had hoped.I was hoping someone with experience with Pom hair can help me out so i don't waste a lot of money on brushes.Thanks...

Here is a pic of my DD and our new little buddy named Duke (DH insisted that just because he's little and fluffy doesn't mean he has a "sissy" name [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]
    And one of the little guy alone...

[​IMG]

Here's a short story on Duke.When i went to buy Duke, the woman had several small dogs. i saw a lot of crates in a room but she did not let me in there, she brought him out.Duke seemed petrified but I gave it a shot anyway. Since the car ride home, where he sat on my lap the whole hour and a half, he has been attached to me.So much so, that if I leave his sight, he barks non stop, so a bit of separation anxiety, I'm guessing.Anyway, I work in a home for the elderly at night taking care of them. My job allows dogs to come to work with you, so I have been taking Duke to work and pretty much everywhere I go, he goes.He has adjusted so well and seems to love "having a job". He visits each of the 12 residents I care for each night, and they LOVE having him around.
    Here's where the story gets bad....last Sunday night Duke and I and my DD went to work as usual. i started doing my rounds and Duke followed me as he usually does. That night I had been up for a LONG time (almost 24 hours) so i was really tired and not thinking straight.I went into one room and Duke followed me as usual(he usually trots in and out while I am busy,keeping an eye on things [​IMG] )....I raised the bed and cared for the woman...then as usual, I put the bed down.(all of the beds are electric and go to the floor) I went into the next room to care for another woman who was new. We started talking and asked her if she liked dogs.She said "Oh, I LOVE dogs! Do you have one here?" So, I called for Duke and he wasn't there...I immediately started searching the house with my DD.We found him about 5 minutes later...CRUSHED under the bed in the previous room i had been in [​IMG] I NEVER HEARD A SOUND WHEN I PUT THE BED DOWN!!! (later the vet informed me if he had been there for one more minute,he would be dead! [​IMG] )
    OMG....I was in shock, my DD was on her knees crying...I lifted the bed as quickly as it would go up...he didn't move...he was nonresponsive...he was bleeding from the nose and his tongue was hanging out....I pulled him out, hysterical....I thought he was dead! The nurse I was working with heard the commotion and came running.She immediately started assisting him and called my supervisor....she came, found an address for the nearest 24 hour ER for animals and told me to go ahead and take him, that she would care for the people at the house.
    Anyway, I took him in ( I don't even know how I drove I was so distraught) and the vet checked him out.He didn't break anything,amazingly,but the blood vessels around his eyes and has a very sore body right now.He is doing much better, and the swelling on the brain she told me to watch for has not appeared to have happened.I am soooo grateful for my superiors for assisting and understanding!
    I just have to share this so maybe someone else like me who has always had a big dog will be more careful...it was so distressing and the guilt will eat you alive! I have never harmed an animal who I was supposed to care for and the effect was horrible...I still feel guilty [​IMG]
    I am so grateful little Duke survived and seems to be on the mend. I will ALWAYS be more aware of where he is now, but what a way to learn!!

2. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    Thats terrible hope he winds up ok. Might be a good idea to put a cat collar with a bell on him or attach a bell to his regular collar so you know where he is at all times. very cute btw. As a dog groomer i would suggest a slicker brush a comb and if he sheds like crazy like most poms a fuminator brush to get the undercoat out.

3. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Thanks, a slicker brush? may I ask what it looks like?

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Glad you got him. He is so cute. For a brush get one of these.

[​IMG]

Brush against them with the coat. Use a good dog comb afterwords to get the fine stuff out,

ETA: this is a slicker.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  5. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Thank you...I'm glad too [​IMG] I thought that was what it would look like. Thanks for the pic [​IMG]

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I have a Papillon, who's got a similar coat to your dog. He's also small, and profusely double-coated (he's actually got an incorrect coat for a Pap [​IMG] [​IMG] )

I have two main things I use to keep him mat free. One is a flea comb -- I don't use it as one, but it is perfect at "detailing" the fur around my dogs ears, the back of his thighs and front legs. I use a regular slicker brush for the general brushing and under coat stripping.

7. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Thanks... I got all the tangles out except he has a couple of small mats on the back of one leg....Right now I'm not going to pull on those because of his soreness from the accident [​IMG] I wondered if a flea comb would work...thanks

8. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    you can use a pair of scissors called thinning shears to get the mats out without making too big a mess/ taking huge chunks out of his coat. but only if they aren't too close to the skin.

9. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Thanks, no they aren't close to the skin.I was going to brush them out but then the accident happened so I'm waiting until he feels less pain.

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I have a Keeshond - a bigger version of a Pom. I use a good pin brush. One WITHOUT those silly plastic balls on the end of the pins. I get mine from PetEdge or Chris Christensen. I've found PetEdge has good less expensive brushes, and some good dog shampoos/conditioners. Chris Christensen has expensive but nice brushes that come with pins of varying length (from 20mm to 35mm). Thinning shears work great for trimming feet and lower legs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by