Suggestion for LG incubator accuracy

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Natty Bumppo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Natty Bumppo

Natty Bumppo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Here's an easy fix for the little knob on an LG to improve adjustability.

Pick up a wood pull at Home Depot and drill out the screw hole with a 15/16ths bit and slip it onto the factory knob.

I marked mine with hot and cold to avoid making a mistake.

It will help with small temperature adjustments [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RightFromtheStartDoula

RightFromtheStartDoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    great idea!!....I also have been keeping a thermal baby blankey over the bator...it really help's keep the heat in..and when it gets to hot I just fold back half of the blanket..I have been able to maintain 101.5 for the last 24 hours without adjustment!!....

3. Natty Bumppo

Mar 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I am expecting my first eggs later this month, so I am just a newbie, but I am a natural born tinkerer [​IMG]

After searching a lot of threads I thought there should be something with a searchable title that helps fix the accuracy problem with the little knobs on the LG. I wish i had titled the thread LG temp accuracy [​IMG]

From the tests that I have run so far I can keep the temps on the LG still air stable, but it is hard to control the higher levels of humidity that I will need during hatching.

Suggestions?

4. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:feminine sanitary napkins- aka pads. Sounds terrible but works wonders. [​IMG]

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Good idea, but LG is famous for deadly sudden "spikes" in temperature at any temperature setting.

LG was my first bator, and I believe now the LG's "electronic" thermostat is at fault here, (spikes).

6. Natty Bumppo

Mar 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Good idea, but LG is famous for deadly sudden "spikes" in temperature at any temperature setting.

LG was my first bator, and I believe now the LG's "electronic" thermostat is at fault here, (spikes).

I hear you Pascopal.

Here where I live in the midewest the LG is all that they sell in the farm stores (not sure why, probably price) and all I'm just trying to do is help LG owners make their bators more accurate. Some LGs seem to work better for some, and maybe this suggestion will help result in more hatched eggs [​IMG]

7. mountainvieworchards

mountainvieworchards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Corvallis, Oregon
    That wood dial method really helped me adjust my temp. Instead of arrows I put a radial line, like a wheel spoke at the desired temp. That way I know to just lightly tap it to get it back to target temp. I used a cardboard cutout the same dimension as your wood disc and some elmers glue, works well. thanks for the great idea. Too bad LG doesnt read this and put a nice dial on it.

8. mountainvieworchards

mountainvieworchards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Corvallis, Oregon
    If you like to tinker, another thing I have done in LG to mollify the temp swings is to add small water balloons (egg sized) into the hatcher before I add the eggs, if the hatcher isn't going to be full. Eggs are good heat sinks too, so if its full forget the water balloons. I leave the balloons in during the hatch and find the chicks like to lay against and on them. I was wondering if some might puncture when chicks were running around but this hasn't happened.

I start my hatch in the Genesis 1588 and used the original setting to calibrate my digita thermometers. I use the same thermometer in the LG hatcher to be consistant.

9. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Great Idea, if I get that one i will put that knob on right away [​IMG]

10. Natty Bumppo

Mar 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    That makes good sense Mountainview, using small water ballons as heat reservoirs to control fluctuations.

I will be doing my very first hatch soon, with 24 buckeye eggs shipped from Dave in Ohio.

As I candle my eggs, I'll keep that trick in mind. Thanks for the tip. [​IMG]

Question for momtoemall:

I assume you put a saturated pad out on day 18. Do you put it above or below the mesh floor and how many have you used in the past?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by