Suggestion for winter packaging of shipped eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I wanted to mention a suggestion for the packaging of hatching eggs for delivery during the winter months. Actually, it would also help to protect the eggs from heat as well.

I am a research nurse in an academic hospital and we get tons of very thick-walled styrofoam shippers that are used to mail blood samples. These can be obtained free from your local pharmacy...or contact the pharmacy at your local hospital. They receive medications in them and usually just take them to the trash. Some are HUGE and some are very small. I use the very small ones and it will hold 15 bantam eggs that are each wrapped in bubble wrap. The walls are about 2-3 inches thick. It's light as a feather and very sturdy. They will hold up to vigorous shipping and handling. With 15 wrapped bantam eggs, it cost $7.88 to ship from Florida to Wisconsin. The package weighed 1 lb 14 oz.

Just thought you'd like to know.... [​IMG]

2. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    Thanks Gator, that is great info. [​IMG]

3. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Thanks for the info!!!!![​IMG]

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    That's a great idea. I will have dh check at the hospital he works at. Your job sounds great-I love research. I got my BSN so I could do that someday but never did do it lol. Thanks for the tip. Those boxes would prob be great for a lot of things.

5. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    This is the method some of the egg folks have sent eggs in to me and its beautiful. They don' t seem any heavier than a box that size, maybe not as much, and they are really well insulated. I had Serama eggs sent like this, not one cracked. Most settled and several hatched. That's really pretty good coming to Alaska from Texas in winter. ( To a neophyte like me)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by