suggestion

lelystad

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
It is constantly asked what is the 'best' meat bird, how to breed CX, what is the best heritage meat breed etc. I think we should create a sticky topic to answer all these questions. For example, we can have a thread in which each breed is explained in detail, like how long it takes to mature, weight, amount of meat, taste: gamey or mild, texture, live and dressed pictures etc. What do you think?

Last edited:
I think it is a lovely idea and if the Mods decide to do it, I volunteer to do the write-up on Pekin ducks.

I'm not sure it would actually do any good. Judging by the way people ask a question that has already been asked 3 times on the first page, I'm going to guess that people don't even read the first page of notes before they ask a question. It makes me suspect they don't read the stickies, either.

But still, a breed by breed evaluation of the meat qualities is a really excellent idea.

Quote:
X2 People just won't read. Some do though, especially when they ask and their answer is "go to the sticky" lol. Still, it's a great idea.

Well, my aim is not to stop people asking but to have a unique and easy to access resource for curious people. I pointed out how many people ask the same questions just to show the demand for such information.

Last edited:
I can't see anything wrong with breed explanation but grow out times, feed rations, etc. is subjective to husbandry practices, so sticky noting one particular way to grow out each breed and denoting it as "the way" would be problematic and controversial.

yes! This is a great idea! I can write up something about Muscovy and Cayuga ducks. This would be a very valuable comparison... I'm contemplating raising different ducks for meat and I would TOTALLY check it out.

Quote:
I agree that its subjective... but folks are asking here on the forum anyway so wouldn't they be getting the same info? And it might be valuable to show several types of husbandry since not any one way will work the same for each person.
old.gif

When it becomes a sticky, isn't it rather closed to further information being added so that the info provided is a constant? If so, who would represent all the different types of husbandry styles for each breed?

Quote:
rather than a sticky we could request something like the breeds list here at BYC. Or they could just add another category for meat birds and we could request that they allow multipul "discipines" rather than just one style of husbandry.

Stickies don't have to be locked.

It would be a very long thread with a note for each breed. The "states" thread actually has an index in the thread. That would be brilliant for a sticky about meat qualities.

Back
Top Bottom