Suggestions for a broody type bantam

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrandmrschicken, Nov 13, 2008.

1. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Can anyone suggest a good variety of bantam that will be broody? I want one that I can stick eggs under. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    ohhh lord do i ever have experience in this. Cochins!!! Also dutch are good broodies, and i have heard silkies are great too

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've heard more about silkies

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Silkies are the ultimate brooders and excellent mothers! Mine are only 7 months old right now and I have 4 that are broody. The first broody was only 5 months old when she started. They sit until something hatches - I haven't been able to outwit or outlast them yet. I never thought I'd be hatching chicks this time of year. [​IMG]

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Silkies! Silkies! Silkies! People that live around here are always looking for Silkies because of their broodiness.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    At any given time i have one third to half my flock of silkies in broody mode. i have had silkies lay their first egg then go broody. i have a couple hens that are broody 90 percent of the time. If i wanted, i could be hatching dozens of eggs on a continual basis. Can not imagine any other breed more broody than these.

7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I agree, Silkies are probably top of the list but I love my banty cochins and they are pretty good at going broody and great moms.
    Silkies are broody all the time because they can't see to do anything else. [​IMG]

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Silkies!! I NEED more Silkies!!!! mine both turned out to be ROOS! [​IMG]

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Silkies and cochins both are super broody but then, a majority of the bantam breeds are very broody anyway from my experiences in the past.

10. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Silkies are renowned for it.

Right now, I have NO roosters and my one adult hen has gone broody on nothing for 3 weeks and I can't get her to stop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by