Suggestions for a First Aid Kit - Updated 8-01-2020

@casportpony - tag not working on this device.....

From Storey's Guide

When a duck obviously needs your assistance, pull its head forward until it is in a straight line with the neck, open the bill by squeezing with the thumb and index finger on both corners of the bill, and push your finger, a piece of 1/2 inch rubber tubing, or the eraser end of a new pencil down the bird's throat until the obstruction is dislodged.

Last edited:
@casportpony - tag not working on this device.....

From Storey's Guide

When a duck obviously needs your assistance, pull its head forward until it is in a straight line with the neck, open the bill by squeezing with the thumb and index finger on both corners of the bill, and push your finger, a piece of 1/2 inch rubber tubing, or the eraser end of a new pencil down the bird's throat until the obstruction is dislodged.

Ah, okay, that makes perfect sense, and I've actually had to do that a couple of times.

Love the ichthammol!

Drawing/ antibiotic/antifungal ointments for infections/wounds/skin irritations:

ichthammol or:

equal parts tumeric and honey

stockinette (as mentioned on another great post) to keep bandages in place.

Wood ash for dusting.

Squeeze bottles (like old shampoo bottles or mustard bottles) for irrigating, cleansing...(I repurpose most everything)) or even ketchup squeeze bottles from the dollar store...easier if you only have one hand to work with...

maybe a small soft toothbrush for cleaning feathers, beaks, feet, etc

Castor Oil! for combs, and for scaley mites on feets!

Don't get me started lol

Dr. Bronner's Soap...

Soothing lavender sachet for stressed out bird...rub it in your hands to release aroma...

Cornstarch for stopping bleeding in lieu of styptic or in case of larger area...

NuStock or make your own...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom