Suggestions for a roof for my 30 X 40 chain link coop that is 6' tall and covered in hardware cloth

crw

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2020
I have a 30 X 40 chain link kennel, 6' high, wrapped in hardware cloth and covered in netting (to prevent owls, hawks, etc... from taking my birds). In the winter, we had a snowfall that weighed down the netting, causing part of our kennel to collapse. It was a disaster! Everyone was ok, thankfully.
My question is this: I've seen PVC pipes used to make hoop roofs; however, given my kennel is so big, 30 X 40, I need ideas on how to construct the roof with substantial support, what to cover it in, etc.... I've seen 6 mm greenhouse plastic used but I want shade for my animals, so that won't provide shade. Thought about tarps, but they aren't awfully attractive, and wood prices are skyrocketing! Any help would be so very appreciated!

I have a 30 X 40 chain link kennel, 6' high, wrapped in hardware cloth and covered in netting (to prevent owls, hawks, etc... from taking my birds). In the winter, we had a snowfall that weighed down the netting, causing part of our kennel to collapse. It was a disaster! Everyone was ok, thankfully.
My question is this: I've seen PVC pipes used to make hoop roofs; however, given my kennel is so big, 30 X 40, I need ideas on how to construct the roof with substantial support, what to cover it in, etc.... I've seen 6 mm greenhouse plastic used but I want shade for my animals, so that won't provide shade. Thought about tarps, but they aren't awfully attractive, and wood prices are skyrocketing! Any help would be so very appreciated!
We used tin for ours and it feels really safe and secure from predators.

It would help to know what part of the country you are in. I'm in North Central Massachusetts and a 3 foot snowfall is not totally uncommon. If you are in an area with heavy snowfalls a pitched roof regardless of what material is used is necessary. My run is 8' x 14' in the main area and I use corrugated aluminum which has worked well the past 3 winters. With a run as large as yours you would need to build a structure to hold the roofing panels.

My covered run is 28 x 18 and is totally covered in painted corrugated metal. It's painted white on both sides, which not only keeps it very shaded, but also at least 20 degrees cooler than outside. But it has to be supported by posts and supports.
You can hold down the price by buying the material locally at a roofing supply store, which is much cheaper than the big box stores. It's not cheap, but it will last longer than I will

Attachments

• Coop & Run 008.jpg
    Coop & Run 008.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 17
It would help to know what part of the country you are in. I'm in North Central Massachusetts and a 3 foot snowfall is not totally uncommon. If you are in an area with heavy snowfalls a pitched roof regardless of what material is used is necessary. My run is 8' x 14' in the main area and I use corrugated aluminum which has worked well the past 3 winters. With a run as large as yours you would need to build a structure to hold the roofing panels.
I'm in NC. Could get no snow or a foot!

I thought about that. How would I connect the tin since the coop is 30 ft X 40 ft?
No matter what you use, you probably need more framing or posts to hold it up.

It would help to know what part of the country you are in.
Yes please @crw add your general geographical location to your profile. It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600200113392.png

Back
Top Bottom