Suggestions for a Small Dog-Proof Backyard Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sk8inChick(en), May 12, 2011.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Hello there!

I'm looking for information on building a small backyard coop, big enough to house 2-4 hens, and very dog proof. Our dogs will be curious about it, and I would like to hear from anyone knows how to make a coop dog proof. [​IMG] The dogs range from 40-70lbs, so it would have to be strong enough to withstand their "curiousity." [​IMG]

If anyone has any ideas/tips for dog proofing a small backyard coop, I would love to hear them! [​IMG]

Thank you! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Are you thinking of having an attached run? If so the hardware cloth run around the lower half of the run is strong enough to keep the dogs out.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Hardware cloth and if they are VERY curious, a hot wire. Will give them a zap, but it won't hurt them. After a zap or 2 they will leave the area alone.

Chicken wire=chicken dinner!

4. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you considered placing it inside a dog kennel which you could then use as your run?

Gail

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think you might like a small chicken tractor that you can move around the lawn. The chickens can then get some nice grass to eat, and you can keep moving it, so your grass won't die and your hens will have a fresh, safe area to peck around in.

Definitely make it with hardware cloth because of your dogs.

6. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:That was my thought as well [​IMG]

7. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    I hadn't really thought about an attached run. Is that a good thing to have for the chickens? If so, would a dog kennel be big enough? [​IMG]

One more question. [​IMG] What is a chicken tractor? Is that like a portable pen that you move around your yard?

Thank you for all the suggestions! They are very helpful! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  8. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sk8inChick(en) :

I hadn't really thought about an attached run. Is that a good thing to have for the chickens? If so, would a dog kennel be big enough? [​IMG]

One more question. [​IMG] What is a chicken tractor? Is that like a portable pen that you move around your yard?

Thank you for all the suggestions! They are very helpful! [​IMG]

A chicken tractor is like a little coop with an attached run that is on wheels. The coop could actually be around the size of a medium or large dog house, and then the run is attached, and it doesn't have a bottom. So, if you can picture this, there will be a handle on one end (usually the run end), and wheels on the coo pend, and you lift the end with the handles, and roll it on the wheels, very similar to a wheel barrow........

They're really perfect for three or four hens.......​

9. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, and they make many different styles. Some chicken tractors are just darling, while others are very basic and functional. They're nice because you can move them around......

10. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Thank you all so very much!! Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by