suggestions for an electric fence with a battery?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by amysohner, Jun 25, 2011.

1. amysohner

amysohner New Egg

Jun 6, 2011
    Three days ago all 5 of my girls will killed by what I think was a raccoon. It was horrible, but i don't want to give up. I loved every minute of the few weeks i had them. I would like to try again, but am horrified that I wont be able to completely predator proof the coop (we know how it got in, but there may be another way). I would like any advice you have on installing an electric fence. THere is no electricity at our barn, but i am sure there is a battery option. i have read some of the other electric fence forums on this site, but did not see anything about how to charge the battery, or where to put the wire (low vs. middle vs. high) around the coop.

The coop was built as part of the barn, and then we put a chicken wire run outside to keep them contained. They only went in the run during the day, but were killed at night in their coop. Any help you can give would be wonderful!

2. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sorry to hear about your loss. and i am glad to see that you are willing to give it another go.
    i would like to explain our setup because we also didnt want to run electricity to our barn/chicken house, and after shopping around and checking it out we decided we wanted a plug in AC power electric fence box
    our electric fence is one single very low lying strand.
    we bought a light fixture thing- one end looks like the screw in part to a light bulb , in the middle theres 2 outlets , the end is a hole to screw a light bulb into ($3 at home depot) screw it into a porch light to use the two outlets on it, (you can also still screw the bulb in as usual)- thats where we plugged ours in then ran the strand in the air across the yard, which you will have to have it tight from insulator to insulator and then down a tree ,to where ever we needed it (chicken coop & pigs pen) also you dont have to worry about any birds or anything that flys up and perchs on the wire , they will not get zapped because they are not grounded.
    E Fence's are wonderful especially when combined with other predator proofing techniques to keep chickens safe

if you cant do the above mentioned scenario than you could buy a battery operated one but i do not think there as good as a solar powered one- if i remember correctly?

good luck and keep us posted [​IMG]

3. amysohner

amysohner New Egg

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks! I should also say that we live in A LOT of trees, and a solar charger would not work.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If it's bad enough, mount the charger in the house or barn and run insulated wire to the fence then go hot from there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by