suggestions for bantam breed for kids?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crysmom, Oct 21, 2007.

1. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    My son wants to get some bantams for himself (we are currently hatching layers ) any suggestiong for something fun, friendly non aggressive and hardy? we are thinking bantam cochins or silkies any suggestions? birds to avoid?

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    My japanese and cochins are very friendly.
    My sebrights are pretty friendly, and I also have some OEGB that are extremely calm.
    They don't run to meet you but they don't run from you and are very content to be held.
    I guess any breed can be calm and easy going if they are handled consistently from an early age.

Good Luck!

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    We have silkies & bantam cochins both are for kids great! [​IMG]

If you are planning to house them together I sujest you brood them together!

Unless I have brooded them together I have not been able to put bantams with regular size chickens with out bantams getting heads drilled!
    (I don't know about anyone else but, it has never worked for me)

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    fun--any bantam
    friendly--OEG, cochins, wyandottes, light brahma's, cornish
    hard to keep in pen--OEG
    want to go broody on rocks--cochins or silkies
    hardy--wyandottes, cornish, brahma's

5. crysmom

Sep 24, 2007
    Quote:I"m not sure if they'll need to be together except for when penned outdoors right now I have a tractor and a large coop being built (should be done asap)

I thought that the bantams would be in the coop first and already full grown then I would be able to introduce our chicks (that haven't hatched) at about 3 or 4 weeks. not sure how many chicks we will have because there are 19 eggs right now but I can only see 7 embryos move for sure.

I am willing to divide the coop in half for the birds with a 1/2 plywood 1/2 hardware cloth divider but in the end they would still end up outside together. except for summer time when the bantams could be in the tractor

6. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    D'Uccles are so sweet and gentle. This breed is not cold-hardy though. Are you in a cold climate?

7. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I absolutely adore my cochin bantams -they are sweet, gentle, and look like big fluffy featherdusters (and feel like them, too)! [​IMG]

8. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i have 5 children, 4 boys and a girl all 3 to age 11. we raise all bantams with the exception of some of our polish that are lrg fowl. the other breeds we raise are silkies, turken, polish, salmon favorolles, showgirls(silkie x turken), golden neck d' uccles, porcelain d'uccles(i live in pa have not had a prob with winter yet my first year with them) and soon we will have sizzles(silkie x frizzle cochin).

all have been excellent with the kid's and even with my youngest. we have hatched and raised alot of other breeds but these where what fit us best that we kept to raise and show.

this may help too:

fun--polish, turkens, showgirls, frizzles

friendly--cochins, d 'uccles, light brahma's, japs, hamburgs

hard to keep in pen--OEGB, sebrights

want to go broody on rocks--cochins, showgirls or silkies

hardy--if ur talking winter hardy turkens, silkies and showgirls definately are

9. crysmom

Sep 24, 2007
    Quote:yes we are in a colder climate about 5 degrees most days throughout the winter and then we skyrocket to the 90's for the summer.

10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I love my Modern Game Bantam Cornelius! He is sweet and friendly and he loves to sit on my shoulder.

Here he is

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by