Suggestions for Best Dry Cat Food-Other than Raw Diet..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ThornyRidge, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I understand many on here push and advocate for raw diet.. it sounds good but something I am unable to commit too at the present time.. I had a 10 year old male cat/neutered/indoor have surgery last fall to remove 3 large bladder stones that appeared to come from nowhere. I have previously only ever used Iams Original or Hairball formula and started him on Iams kitten.. So for 9.5 years I had absolutely no problems and in fact he has been the picture of health until now.. of course after consultation with vets and various health people the suggested the Science Diet food that costs a ridiculous amount 37 bucks for 10 lbs.. and of course it is only corn/plant products.. I am into my third bag now and have actually switched to mixing it with the Iams that I feed my barn cats because since the switch the amount of hairballs/vomit is ridiculous.. not to mention it appears that the food has no nutritional value as they eat a ton of it compared to the Iams which listed chicken as primary food .. does anyone have a decent and healthy dry food that I could look into? again I am not able to commit to a raw diet at this time but do not want to have a reoccurance of bladder stones again.. that was awful..I heard something about a food called Innova but can't seem to find it or know much about it.. I am limited for places too I have Petsmart and Tractor Supply as my main sources for pet foods..

2. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    WELLNESS brand carries fantastic products for animals with no additives, corn products, and protein as the primary ingredient. We have a dog and that is all we feed her! She loves it and we are very happy with it. It is more expensive than grocery store brands, but still reasonable and well worth the money. You can order it on line.

3. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    blue buffalo is really good

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

taste of the wild, sold at tractor supply is good.

5. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Quote:My cats have eaten Innova Evo for the past year. Since the economy is iffy...I've switched them to Chicken Soup for the Soul Cat Food. I always look for foods that have as many human grade ingredients as possible.

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Mine eat Innova EVO as well. It does cost more for the bag BUT they eat less of it and it's all utilized and the poop is concentrated afterward. That for me was one of the top reasons since we have 6 cats. Their coats stay sleek and shiny and they don't seem to shed as much or have hairballs. I've had none of them show any signs of UTIs or stones while on this cat food.

I get mine from an online company called K9Cuisine.com. and also PetFoodDirect.com has it.

Here is the K9Cuisine link for it:
    http://www.k9cuisine.com/p-205-evo-cat-food.aspx

Here is the PetFoodDirect link for it:
    http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/...age=&mscssid=CAKMBATKSRT48JW9U2V6DP2RX659DGG9

My dogs eat EVO as well and do great. No vomiting or skin/coat problems and as with the cats, their poop is very concentrated and far less odor.
    For anyone that's had Labs on grain based foods and has seen those usually huge amts of poop, this is a godsend!

7. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    There are several great cat foods available that are made with human grade ingredients at resonable prices.

California Natural - Chicken and Rice
    Natural Balance
    Precise
    Eagle Pack Holistic
    Merrick BG(Before Grain)
    Innova
    Wellness
    Halo

Check with your local pet store, or feed store if they will special order any of those for you if they do not already have them in stock. Often times they will be able to get them from their distributors. California Natural and Innova are made by Natura Pet and have frequent buyer cards where after your 12th bag your 13th is free. Natural Balance is after 10 the 11th is free. You can ask for a card from the company directly to send in your receipts and proof of purchase sku's. A large bag of California Natural (15 or 20 pounds, I believe) is around $35 and since you feed multiple cats would probably be the best buy. You can also order these foods online if need be. http://www.naturapet.com

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  9. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I love Castor and Pollux Adult Ultramix (their other formulas aren't as great). I don't like the fact that they changed the shape of their kibble, but they have dried fruits and such, and the formula is still the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by