suggestions for chicks with diarrhea?

amanning0924

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2015
East Tennessee
My daughter got 4-H chicks a week ago today. We have been giving them probiotics and electrolytes since Saturday because they have a bad case of diarrhea. And by diarrhea I mean water poo that smells to high heaven. We are seriously changing their bedding everyday because it smells so bad. Probiotics and electrolytes in one water jug and an option for fresh water in another. We have raised chicks before and never had this problem but we have never had any hatchery chicks. They gave us a bag of food at our local co-op when we picked them up that they had split from a bigger bag so I have no idea what kind it is (medicated or not medicated). Their poo is a little thicker but not a whole lot and today I found a bloody spot in one poo. We use the mama heating pad method so i don't think they are too hot. They all seem healthy, Running around and scratching like chicks do, all but the runny poo. Anybody have any ideas or experience with this?? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Give them yogurt with grit and sprinkle a bit of food on top. Chickens love yogurt and it really does clear them up! Just put plain yogurt in an old lid to a jar you've lost or any other container, sprinkle some food and grit on top, and you're ready to go!

Back
Top Bottom