Suggestions for curing my fear of the dark? (Achluphobia?)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chickenfan4life, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Last night I had to close the coop door. I took a flash light with me, then I put a headlight on, and brought a stick. I was walking to the coop when a cottontail ran out from under my feet. I screamed in terror, and literally was falling head over heels to get home. Then I had to go back out to close the coop door. I was nervous, literally shaking with fright, and whipping my head back and forth at every sound.

This is how afraid I am of the dark.

Please help me!!!

2. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sometimes like that, if I watch to much Crimanal minds, or anything spooky, I get very creeped out. I have a Germen Shepard dog, and still get like that sometimes :(

If your watching creepy stuff stop, As for getting over that fear, I have no idea, if it's truely the dark your afraid off. Sounds like you are afraid of what's hiding in the dark.

GL I hope it goes well

3. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    You're probably right about being afraid of what's in the dark. I don't watch scary movies, but I do see movies with violence in them.

4. MeatKing

Hmm So no scary shows, It's the Things about women and children that really get me paranoid/scared.. (For days if not weeks)
    Can you light up your back yard? Go out to the coop on your phone? Talking to a friend..
    sounds aweful, but I had a stalker for awhile, and then moved, when I moved, I would call my friend, and she would walk through apartment with me, I was truly scared.. Her on the phone, was my life line..

Any other ideas people?

There most be somebody one here with simalar problems in the past?

5. MeatKing

oh another thought, That I did, I took kick boxing for awhile.. That helped. I know better how to defend myself if something ever did happen. It's been ten years, a few kids, many pounds later and a few weekends ago, I watched my inshape younger neighbor fall on his butt, trying to lift his leg up to waist level.. Ten years later, i can still kick above my head, and hit the target..

6. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I don't have a phone, but I do have a huge GSDXLabrador, and she is definitely a confidence-booster. Only problem is, she will run off into the dark, and when she re-appears, I always scream like a banshee and go head-over-heels back to the house. I cannot light the entire yard. The chicken coop is a ways away, but, I can be outside in the dark in the illumination of a floodlight. That helps.

Thanks... I took kick-boxing, too, but I'm only, like, four feet tall.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Leash your dog and take her with you. I get like that too, we've got lots of critters in the boonies where I live. Every sound and movement I think I see wigs me out. So, I take my dogs with me if I have to close the coop after dark. I've seen bear and coyotes in the yard, so my fear isn't all that far fetched, IMO. And really, neither is yours. I don't think you're scared of the dark either. Sometimes, like another poster said, just having someone to talk to helps alot. Even if that someone is the dog leashed at your side. Good luck :)
    Nikki

8. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Thanks, Nikki. I talk to the dog a lot---It's not unusual for me to talk to the dogs more than my own friends, relatives, or random people---and I have started doing everything before dark, but when I have to go out in the dark---to get wood, close the coop, etc.---I take our big ol' guard dog, and she is my lifeline. I talk to her, and am much ore confident, knowing she's there beside me.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Being afraid of the dark is an important part of our survival. Fear of darkness is why man invented fire. If our ancestors wandered around in the dark we wouldn't be here today and the saber-toothed tiger would still be wandering in the grasslands.

Spend time on the porch at nighttime. Watch the sun set and listen to all the night sounds from the safety of the porch. Learn about the creatures who live in the dark. Learn about other folks who are truly afraid of the dark and how they beat the issue. Remember fear is a survival mechanism. However, we are capable of overcoming our fear with knowledge.

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My friend swears by the Susan Jeffers book Feel the Fear and do it Anyway. Perhaps you will find it useful. I fear driving,especially on the highway,but there is no way for me to avoid it.My ds refuses to allow any scary movies after dark.Totally normal to be nervous in the dark-scary movies or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by